+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Engineer with 5 years of Experience

llujum

Jun 21, 2018
Hi,

I just started gathering all the information I need for immigrating to Canada as an engineer.

I have no experience in Canada. All my professional experience in the US is in corrosion control engineering. I did not present the FE exam, mainly because Corrosion is not a sub-category presented within FE/PE. Also, because NACE international in the main body with accreditations within my field of work.

Currently waiting for WES, but I have a Master of Science in Systems Engineering and a bachelor of science in construction engineering both in the US.

Anyway, now that I am gathering all my information. I see that P.Eng status will be something that I'll be pursuing especially the job prospectives without having the P.Eng in Canada.

I wonder which province would be ideal for a person with my background to apply directly to the P.Eng process, since of my 5+ years of experience already. I have some slight understanding that US experience is considered in some providences, due to NAFTA? Also, I would like to start as much of the process while in the US still.

Anyone have experience or feedback???

alimzlm

Star Member
Jul 12, 2011
Hi,

I just started gathering all the information I need for immigrating to Canada as an engineer.

I have no experience in Canada. All my professional experience in the US is in corrosion control engineering. I did not present the FE exam, mainly because Corrosion is not a sub-category presented within FE/PE. Also, because NACE international in the main body with accreditations within my field of work.

Currently waiting for WES, but I have a Master of Science in Systems Engineering and a bachelor of science in construction engineering both in the US.

Anyway, now that I am gathering all my information. I see that P.Eng status will be something that I'll be pursuing especially the job prospectives without having the P.Eng in Canada.

I wonder which province would be ideal for a person with my background to apply directly to the P.Eng process, since of my 5+ years of experience already. I have some slight understanding that US experience is considered in some providences, due to NAFTA? Also, I would like to start as much of the process while in the US still.

Anyone have experience or feedback???
Hi llujum,
in my opinion APEGA is the best .the most important thing is to know your NOC code .Wait WES out come. As per my knowledge NACE is not considered during evaluation .They will look for your academic studies and experience only .Since you are working in US ,your supervisor should be PE in order for them to accept your experience.

llujum

Jun 21, 2018
Hi llujum,
in my opinion APEGA is the best .the most important thing is to know your NOC code .Wait WES out come. As per my knowledge NACE is not considered during evaluation .They will look for your academic studies and experience only .Since you are working in US ,your supervisor should be PE in order for them to accept your experience.
As I read the rules. It seems that I can't start the process unless I am already a PR. I wish to be able to start on the process as I also start my PR application. Is this possible?

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
Sorry to bother. But do you recommend APEGA versus other provinces?
I would recommend PEO. The downside to APEGA is the long waiting time from submission to completion of assessment, and if you're assigned any confirmatory exams, you won't have EIT status until you clear them. PEO clears the assessment in 2-3 months, and will give you EIT status even if you're assigned to write exams.

All in all, research well before you apply. Different people will have different points of view.

Reactions: alimzlm