+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Elections effects on Processing times.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Yes, there is a lot of misunderstanding about the Canadian immigration system. The vast majority of Americans who have stated they will move to Canada won't actually qualify.
Some of the major American news networks don't help either. CNN had an article on people wanting to move to Canada, and mentioned that a winning ticket in the citizenship lottery was one of the ways to get in.

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MilesAway said:
Some of the major American news networks don't help either. CNN had an article on people wanting to move to Canada, and mentioned that a winning ticket in the citizenship lottery was one of the ways to get in.
some ??? :)
OMG, lottery system...

forget God bless america, how about God help america.. ???

Survivor27

Champion Member
May 24, 2016
Planet Earth!
Visa Office......
CEM
App. Filed.......
20.Dec.2016
Doc's Request.
22.Mar.2017
AOR Received.
05.Jan.2017
File Transfer...
13.Jan.2017
Med's Done....
17.Nov.2016_IOM
Passport Req..
19.June.2017
VISA ISSUED...
23.June.2017
LANDED..........
09.Sept.2017
And, CIC website is back ---- intermittently! :)

ImABule

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 25, 2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
March 24, 2016 AOR2 April 15, 2016
File Transfer...
SA April 5, 2016
Med's Done....
February 02, 2016
Interview........
Queue- August 29, 2016 Waived- November 15, 2016
Passport Req..
November 17, 2016 DM- November 18, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 29, 2016
LANDED..........
December 19, 2016
thestunner316 said:
some ??? :)
OMG, lottery system...

forget God bless america, how about God help america.. ???
Britain- brexit is the stupidest, most self destructive thing a country could do

USA- hold my beer

crazy D

Aug 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Aug-2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
AOR1-28-Sept-2016,AOR2-20-oct-2016
File Transfer...
SA 7-Oct-2016 (ECAS in process oct 15,'16)/BC in Progress-dec 2 '16, pre-arrival received-dec 16'16
Med's Done....
22th July 2016-upfront(passed)-nov 28
Interview........
Waived :)
Passport Req..
And DM - 12-jan-'17- mycic -closed/approved-18-jan-'17
VISA ISSUED...
19-Jan-17
LANDED..........
28-jan-17 :)
thestunner316 said:
yep, other half of the population actually voted for him, and the first half thinks they can move tomorrow...
blame the education system i say... thats just a lot of dumb people for a country that big...
Exactly :)

Masonb6888

Jan 9, 2016
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
Feb .06. 2017
Doc's Request.
Oct 10, 13. (Updated PCC, and StatDeca Common-law)
AOR Received.
Feb .23. 2017
File Transfer...
OB570 Stream (stayed in Mississauga)/ Oct 30. 2017 (BGC in progress)
Med's Request
Passed: Mar.3.2017
Med's Done....
Oct. 28. 2016
Passport Req..
Nov. 01. 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22. 2017
LANDED..........
Nov. 24. 2017
I'm still not sure if this eased my fears or not. I'll just have to hope for the best I guess. We get to apply December 10th!
Actually, can I send it in a couple days before since mailing it might take a day or two? ;D

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Masonb6888 said:
I'm still not sure if this eased my fears or not. I'll just have to hope for the best I guess. We get to apply December 10th!
Actually, can I send it in a couple days before since mailing it might take a day or two? ;D
It will all come down to who can access cic.gc.ca long enough to get the document packages and mailing address. Also how many south of the border want to jump ship. If 1/3000 wanted to jump, that's 16,000 more than the 2017 Family Sponsorship target....

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
Very little, if any.

Most of the people who want out won't qualify. Canada is quite a difficult country to move to. Of those who do, many will not actually take the step to leave.

If a large number of highly skilled people apply, then EE points requirements may go up (because if thousands of PhD holding Americans join the pool, they can get the same number of people with higher point thresholds).

If there's a sudden influx of spousal support applications, American apps may start needing a higher burden of proof, as is required from most of the world.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Bcboundboy said:
Very little, if any.

Most of the people who want out won't qualify. Canada is quite a difficult country to move to. Of those who do, many will not actually take the step to leave.

If a large number of highly skilled people apply, then EE points requirements may go up (because if thousands of PhD holding Americans join the pool, they can get the same number of people with higher point thresholds).

If there's a sudden influx of spousal support applications, American apps may start needing a higher burden of proof, as is required from most of the world.
The problem is that Harper revamped the points systems to be based on job market demand. So education/age/language will not be enough to qualify for EE alone. They need a job offer to successfully get EE. That is a hard sell to convince government to allow job offer to Americans when you have a lot of unemployed Canadians affected by oil crash.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
screech339 said:
The problem is that Harper revamped the points systems to be based on job market demand. So education/age/language will not be enough to qualify for EE alone. They need a job offer to successfully get EE. That is a hard sell to convince government to allow job offer to Americans when you have a lot of unemployed Canadians affected by oil crash.
Actually you don't need a job offer (supported by an LMIA). That makes it a lot easier, but many people qualify for draws based on their education, work experience, and age,without a job. Basically if you're university educated or higher, have five years skilled work experience & are under 30, you can easily qualify with no job offer, especially if toy have good skills in French as well as English.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Bcboundboy said:
Actually you don't need a job offer (supported by an LMIA). That makes it a lot easier, but many people qualify for draws based on their education, work experience, and age,without a job. Basically if you're university educated or higher, have five years skilled work experience & are under 30, you can easily qualify with no job offer, especially if toy have good skills in French as well as English.
120 points max for age (20's)
140 points max for education (phd)
136 points max for language.
24 points max for 2nd language
600 points for job offer.

So you can see that age/education/language alone will not be enough to get the required high points to qualify for EE. Yes you can qualify for EE without job offer but it is much harder to qualify when EE is based on 1200 points. The minimum points for 2015 was 450. So age/education/language will not be enough to meet the minimum. Only those with job offers will be ranked much higher than those without and will likely be selected for EE.

Staunts2015

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
11-12-2019
danawhitaker said:
I don't see this having much of an effect, except possibly at the initial processing levels with a bunch of people submitting applications that end up not being valid, but I'd assume those would get tossed quickly. There are a bunch of very confused people on my Facebook feed tonight who don't seem to understand that you can't just...you know...apply and get in and move, without meeting a lot of qualifications. I gave up trying to explain it to people after a while. Once people figure out it's not as simple as it looks, it'll probably die out. People threaten these sorts of things every election cycle.

I am glad that my husband and I started our relationship and got married when we did, because what I would worry about for Americans down the line is coming under extra scrutiny (at least for a brief period) as to whether the relationship is genuine in case someone's just trying to escape as a Trump refugee.

I'm unable to access MyCIC at all, but I was able to log in to ECAS fine a few minutes ago. Hopefully things clear up tomorrow. Still in shock.
I completely agree. I was just telling my husband how great it was that we got married last year, versus people genuinely getting married after Trump was elected. I'm still scared it will postpone things, at least a little, but I can still go to Canada as a visitor for 6 months, without any problems, so I may be moving a few months before I expect my PR to be granted.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
I made a post on reddit informing them of the difficulties of actually immigrating to Canada. Some of the clueless people out there are quite funny. Some guy was arguing with me about how "it costs thousands and takes years" for an American spousal sponsorship to Canada. Ok, bud, obviously the guy didn't know what he was doing. I would agree with that if they had criminal issues, but in general, it's pretty easy and fast and certainly won't cost "thousands" unless you're paying a lawyer (for the non-visa countries). Then there are the people that don't know how hard it is to immigrate with only your skills. Yeesh I have to stay off there for a while, getting pissed off.

It might not be so bad if you have a NAFTA career. Until Trump vetos that, at least.

Lizzy1987

Jan 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24/08/2015
AOR Received.
18/11/2015, 21/04/2016
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
01-31-2017
Aquakitty said:
I made a post on reddit informing them of the difficulties of actually immigrating to Canada. Some of the clueless people out there are quite funny. Some guy was arguing with me about how "it costs thousands and takes years" for an American spousal sponsorship to Canada. Ok, bud, obviously the guy didn't know what he was doing. I would agree with that if they had criminal issues, but in general, it's pretty easy and fast and certainly won't cost "thousands" unless you're paying a lawyer (for the non-visa countries). Then there are the people that don't know how hard it is to immigrate with only your skills. Yeesh I have to stay off there for a while, getting pissed off.

It might not be so bad if you have a NAFTA career. Until Trump vetos that, at least.
I would have to agree with you that most Americans are clueless nobs who think they can just pack up and leave for Canada- but I wouldn't quite sell American spousal sponsorship to Canada as 'pretty easy and fast' either.. I'm an American who got some pretty bad legal advice to apply Inland because of the OWP. I've been waiting for a year and a half (and because of the bad legal advice, did end up paying thousands).. If I had found this forum sooner in the process, I would have cancelled my app and redone it Outland- I'd be done by now! I would bet there are a good number of American spouses who don't know about this forum who are in the same boat, unfortunately.

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
thestunner316 said:
yep, other half of the population actually voted for him, and the first half thinks they can move tomorrow...
blame the education system i say... thats just a lot of dumb people for a country that big...
To be fair, a lot of Canadians aren't aware of just how complicated the process can be, either. I know there was some surprise from my husband's family about how long the process would take. Even my uncle, who's fairly well-traveled and spent time living outside the United States, was surprised at the length of the process. I think it's the sort of thing that most people don't have much knowledge of, and assume is easier than it actually is (to move to another country, in general, not just Canada), unless they have the intent of going through it themselves, or know someone who has gone to that specific country. I know I didn't know much of anything about the process until my husband and I realized we wanted to get married and live in the same place, but wouldn't have assumed it was as difficult as it actually is.

Still fielding questions from some people today, including some "Take me with you?" requests.