+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US DL exchange and first landing questions

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
Hi, I received my CoPR and have scheduled my first landing on May 2nd week. This will be a short trip only for the purpose of getting the PR card processing started and also open up bank account, apply for SIN, etc.

I have a US Driver’s License and currently working in US under STEM OPT. The validity of my US Driver’s License is tied to my F1 OPT Status which will expire next year. But I am planning to permanently move to Canada (BC or ON) later this year. However, after I exit from US and my US visa is no longer valid, I do not know if that will immediately terminate my US driver’s license validity too. So will I still be able to exchange my US driver’s license in Canada (not knowing whether it will get terminated before the expiry date that was originally given as next year)? If yes, what will be the level of the Canadian Driver's License?

Also any advice on what other things to sort out after first landing will be a great help.

Thank you very much.

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
Your US DL would be valid until next year even if you move to Canada this year.
Thank you for the quick reply. That is relieving. Do I also have to show other documents like driving experience record, etc. too while exchanging? I would like to get the highest level of Canadian DL possible with this exchange.