+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US dating a Canadian citizen

Discussion in 'Visitors' started by Kenzierae, Jun 14, 2018.

  1. #1 Kenzierae, Jun 14, 2018 at 3:09 PM
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    I am a US citizen and I am currently dating a Canada citizen. We haven’t been dating long but we have known each other for over a year. We live 45 minutes away from each other. He has spent a lot of time here but I haven’t been to Canada yet but I do have my EDL (enhanced drivers license). I’ve been reading that is it possible that I could spend 6 months max in Canada.

    My question is, would I be able to travel back and forth to the US to work everyday or would that mess up my 6 month visa?
  2. You should assume you will not be able to travel back and forth to work each day (even if you obtain a Nexus card). As a US citizen you are allowed to visit Canada only. Traveling back and forth daily as you describe isn't visiting Canada - it's effectively living here (which you're not allowed to do as a visitor). Each time you cross the border your entry will be assessed by CBSA. If you're crossing daily, there's an extremely high chance that sooner or later CBSA will tell you that you have to stop or flat out deny you entry into Canada.

    It is true that you can spend six months in Canada - but that will only work if you come here and stay here. Crossing over daily messes that up.
    Bryanna and Kenzierae like this.
  3. Thank you for the information! I really appreciate your help!

Share This Page