+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US credit?

LumoLee

Sep 27, 2020
So from what I understand your US credit score doesnt go with you to Canada. That sounds like it would be fine for people who dont have good credit, but me and my husband have great credit and a long credit history. I really dont like the idea of having to start over. How do you apply for a mortgage when you get to Canada? They really don't look at your US credit at all?

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020
So from what I understand your US credit score doesnt go with you to Canada. That sounds like it would be fine for people who dont have good credit, but me and my husband have great credit and a long credit history. I really dont like the idea of having to start over. How do you apply for a mortgage when you get to Canada? They really don't look at your US credit at all?
My understanding is that in some places, such as Toronto, some entities will pull your US credit for some purposes upon request and consider it. There's no downside to mentioning it/having proof of your good US credit. However, the systems are completely separate, and your understanding is right - the credit scores don't transfer.

Also, many US credit cards work just fine in Canada with no foreign transaction fees - feel free to keep them and keep using them, just look into any tax/income complications that might bring up.