+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizenship processing times as comparison to Canadian Citizenship

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
My friend who lives in the Washington DC area already got her citizenship for the US. She applied in June 2013 and already got it. It took her about 4 months. I applied in June 2013 as well. I wonder how long mine will take...

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Peter Griffin: hehe ;D.....Classic Canada
Dejaavu said:
My friend who lives in the Washington DC area already got her citizenship for the US. She applied in June 2013 and already got it. It took her about 4 months. I applied in June 2013 as well. I wonder how long mine will take...

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Sometimes I wonder if I should have asked my wife to sponsor me for the US citizenship. I would have been a US citizen by now ))))

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dejaavu, Canada is a good place to live in. But not the best. I don't think we can categorize countries as the best to live in. Canada surely stands out, but is not the best for lots of people. I know friends that are much happier in the US. Some are much happier in third world countries.

But I am glad you like it here ;D

Dejaavu said:
I bought into Canada by seeing different rankings that put Canada as the best place to live :)

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I have lived in Finland, Canada and US in addition to my home country. Canada is a great country in many ways. The only problem I have is the bureaucracy. I am on parental leave which is great. But it is taking Service Canada forever to start paying me my EI parental leave entitlement...I called them 4 times and they keep asking me the same things over and over :)
Everything related to government services including immigration is a mess and takes forever to process....

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
In the US it take five years before one can apply for citizenship so on the whole it is about the same timeline :)

Waitingforcitizenship

Oct 4, 2013
Dejaavu said:
How long it will take for Finland ??.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dejaavu. Why did you leave Finland? I believe the quality of living is high there. no?

Dejaavu said:
You have to live there 6 years to be eligible. The processing time is around 3-6 months.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dejaavu said:
In the US it take five years before one can apply for citizenship so on the whole it is about the same timeline :)
It's not the same for a lot of people. Not everybody can apply and applies after 3 years.

I was on work permits for a number of years and had to wait at least 2 years after becoming a PR to apply, though I've already been present in Canada for more than 6 years at that time.

Other countries usually fully include time on working visas into calculation, but in Canada it's required to be a PR for at least 2 years, plus all other time counted for 1/2 day.

These 2 years and day as 1/2 days before PR policies look bizarre (never saw anywhere else treating a day of life as a 1/2 of a day) and hardly make any sense except delaying citizenship application.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
In the States, you need to be a permanent resident for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship. The exception is spouses of US citizens. They can apply after 3 years.
To maintain the permanent residence one needs to be physically present 182 days in the US. If they leave US for more than a year they have to get a permission.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
US immigration doesn't count previous presence in the US such as a work permit or studies for permanent residence days.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think we are missing the point. It's not how long a person has to wait to apply for the citizenship, it's how the CIC treats applications when received.

I wouldn't mind waiting 5 years to get the GR in the US knowing that I would be in safe hands when I send my application. In Canada unfortunately, it takes about 8 to 2 years to get the citizenship. Sometimes applicants wait 2 years and then they get an RQ. or worst case when applicants wait 2 years then to know that the CIC agent does not have a clue where their application is.

The above points are the most important. i.e. efficiency in executing and communicating.