+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Us citizen with Candian Grandmother and other family

shortstack

Oct 17, 2018
Hello,

I am a US citizen and my fiance and I will be looking at moving to Canada and want to know the best route. So here is some background. I lived in Vancouver from 2015-2017 for school and worked 20 hours a week. My fiance is Canadian and have been together for 7 years. We are currently in the states as she is completing her MPH. I wanted to look at PR or citizenship as my grandmother (father's mother) is Canadian (born in Canada). I actually have quite a bit of Canadian family from great aunts to cousins in Alberta and BC. My father is deceased so I do not know if he was naturalized or not. From the sound of it, he did not, but I was not sure if I still qualified for decedent status as I was born in 1991. I paid Canadian taxes the past two years and am in a common law marriage with my fiance from the view point of Canada. Would I be able to apply for proof of citizenship?

If anyone can assist that would be great, or at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most likely you are not Canadian by descence (but it depends).

You seem to be a second generation abroad. Even if you were born before 2009 (where you must be older than that). The fact is that you can only identify your Grandmother as a Canadian citizen and not your father.
Which means that most likely he never asked for citizenship proof. Which means that he was not registered as Canadian citizen in 80ties (when this was requirement).
Which means that he could get his citizenship certificate even now, but you would be treated as second generation born abroad.
But if you want to you can recheck by yourself.

But your Canadian fiancé can sponsor you to Canada.
That would be the easiest way for you.

Good luck.