+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen with Canadian PR applying for citizenship

docomo

Nov 11, 2011
Hi

My child is US citizen by birth and also have Canadian PR, can she get Canadian citizenship and also keep US citizenship? Does Canada/US both allow dual citizenship?

Is there benefit to keep US citizenship, she is 10 yrs old. Pls suggest your view. Thanks

Reactions: DavEd

SoftwareEngg

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
As per US Immigration rule... she will loose US citizenship if she take anyother citizenship.. US only allow you to be dual citizen ONLY if you get US citizenship by naturalization and your country (where your born) allow you to have dual citizenship.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The countless US citizens who became Canadians in this forum probably don't agree with the answer above...

USA and Canada both allow dual citizenship, go for it...

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As per US Immigration rule... she will loose US citizenship if she take anyother citizenship.. US only allow you to be dual citizen ONLY if you get US citizenship by naturalization and your country (where your born) allow you to have dual citizenship.
This answer is wrong. As Seym wrote, both the U.S. and Canada allow dual citizenship, so your child can get Canadian citizenship while keeping her U.S. citizenship. The only way for your child to lose U.S. citizenship is by renouncing it, but she would have to be at least 16, and most likely 18, to do so. See: https://hodgen.com/its-hard-for-minors-to-expatriate/

There is definitely a benefit to keeping U.S. citizenship, in that your child would have the option one day of working and/or living in the USA without restriction. The downside, however, is that once your child starts earning a certain amount of money, she will have to file a U.S. income tax return each year, even if living in Canada. (There is a tax treaty to prevent double taxation in most cases.) In addition, there are numerous U.S. tax rules that will affect your child's everyday financial life, such as having a savings or chequing account, investing money, etc.

Is the freedom to live/work in the USA worth the financial hassle? Your child will have to decide that for herself as an adult. However, there's no reason for her not to become a Canadian citizen, because the problems are all on the U.S. side, and the child is already a U.S. citizen.

*Technically, a person can lose U.S. citizenship by taking a foreign citizenship IF the person intends, by taking a foreign citizenship, to give up U.S. citizenship. However, the U.S. government no longer recognizes such a loss, and all persons are required to visit a U.S. embassy or consulate and pay a fee (currently $2,350) to formally renounce if they want to give up U.S. citizenship.

Last edited:

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Could not be more wrong.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
As others mentioned, this is incorrect. I am living proof. I was born in the US, hence have US citizenship. I immigrated to Canada and became a Canadian via naturalization. Now I am a dual citizen

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
The downside, however, is that once your child starts earning a certain amount of money, she will have to file a U.S. income tax return each year, even if living in Canada. (There is a tax treaty to prevent double taxation in most cases.) In addition, there are numerous U.S. tax rules that will affect your child's everyday financial life, such as having a savings or chequing account, investing money, etc.
Yes I cannot agree more. To the OP - If you don't think you child will ever live or pursue opportunities in the USA, then you may want to consider having your child renounce US citizenship when she can. It is a major burden to deal with US taxation for for their expats abroad.

Chi2Van

Star Member
Aug 14, 2017
I'll add my 2 cents- I moved to Canada from the US, recently got my Canadian citizenship and am planning on renouncing my US Citizenship. As other posters have said, you absolutely can have both citizenships. In my case, I find the burden of filing taxes in the US to be incredibly cumbersome, intrusive and costly. Add in that I have absolutely no intention of ever living in the US again, I don't see any reason to hold on to it. But, your daughter is 10, if she ever wants to live/work in the US, having the citizenship will make things much easier for her.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
I'll add my 2 cents- I moved to Canada from the US, recently got my Canadian citizenship and am planning on renouncing my US Citizenship. As other posters have said, you absolutely can have both citizenships. In my case, I find the burden of filing taxes in the US to be incredibly cumbersome, intrusive and costly. Add in that I have absolutely no intention of ever living in the US again, I don't see any reason to hold on to it. But, your daughter is 10, if she ever wants to live/work in the US, having the citizenship will make things much easier for her.
Yeah for kids it's best for them decide for themselves, when they're old enough. They don't have to file US taxes anyway.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Iif she ever wants to live/work in the US, having the citizenship will make things much easier for her.
not only that, but CBP tends to have a dim view of renounced citizens. They can hassle you at the border in a number of ways.

Renouncing is recommend only if you have no plans to ever return to the US and also don't plan on travelling to the US often.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hopefully, you didn't leave an IRA behind. If so, once you renounce, 30% (or possibly 15%...discussion here: http://www.advisor.ca/tax/tax-news/the-true-withholding-tax-for-u-s-retirement-accounts-213037) of withdrawals will be withheld and you'll have to file a U.S. return anyway to claim a refund.

Chi2Van

Star Member
Aug 14, 2017
Hopefully, you didn't leave an IRA behind. If so, once you renounce, 30% (or possibly 15%...discussion here: http://www.advisor.ca/tax/tax-news/the-true-withholding-tax-for-u-s-retirement-accounts-213037) of withdrawals will be withheld and you'll have to file a U.S. return anyway to claim a refund.
Thankfully I took advantage of the weak Canadian dollar early last year and closed out all my US accounts- IRA, 401K, etc. The early withdrawal tax penalty was painful, but I made everything 'back' on the currency exchange. Now everything is in an RRSP and all that's left to do is hand over the passport.

docomo

Nov 11, 2011
Thank you very much my friends, I really appreciate the help and support you all have provided here..This certainly helping me.