+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen visiting Canada long term with intent to immigrate

aaron_jon

Apr 25, 2009
Hi everybody,

I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for, so I hope someone can help me.

I'm from the US, my g/f is Canadian. Eventually I will apply for PR with common law. But in order to do that we obviously have to live together. So I'm going there to live with her and hopefully I'll be able to extend my stay so we can live together for the required 12 months.

My question is this: When I drive up there, do I tell customs that I intend to stay for 6 months and possibly extend? Should I tell them that we are planning to become common law and all that, or should I just say I'm vacationing? I just don't want to screw myself here and pay for it later when I go to apply for PR.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure.

Thanks a lot,
Aaron

aaron_jon

Apr 25, 2009
So, nobody can tell me?? Does anyone know? I'm leaving in the morning and I don't know what to tell them!

PLEASE someone has to know.

omaradib

Mar 31, 2009
I think mentioning about your plan ahead only can hurt. I believe they do not keep track of individual people's intent. That would be silly. Even we don't know what we will do next month. You can have an affair in Canada any time and you can decide to apply for a common law PR.

On the other hand, whatever you tell in the port of entry only matters about whether they let you in or not. Telling about your ulterior intentions do not make you a better candidate for entering.