+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen planning to travel to Canada to seek job

Braxton Leo

Feb 16, 2010
As a US citizen, fortunately I have the luxury of being able to cross the border and look for a job while in Canada. Personal experience has shown that this is the best way to get a job, particularly since my work experience is not in a highly skilled and sought after position. If I am to have any hope of establishing PR in Canada, it will have to be through the semi-skilled PNP in British Columbia, and those aren't the kind of jobs you can get over the phone.

My plan is to come into Canada and set up temporary residence at an RV park in the Vancouver area. It is my understanding I can be in the country for 6 months as a visitor. During that time, I intend to seek employment in one of the occupations that qualify under the Semi-Skilled PNP. My question is what should I tell the customs office when I cross the border from Alaska? Should I disclose that I intend to settle temporarily in BC for the purpose of seeking employment and work permit (which may not satisfy them that I intend to leave the country after 6 months)? or should I say that I'm transiting through Canada to Bellingham, Washington without giving any further details (which isn't necessarily true, although that would be feasible too)?