+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen, new Canadian PR (no card yet), required travel to US, options?

bookfreak6

Jul 23, 2021
Hello,

US Citizen from birth, fresh Canadian PR through family sponsorship. I also have an active Canadian study permit that expires late this year. I need to take a trip to the US soon (Aug) to visit my great-grandmother before she passes (and ideally, my Canadian husband would come with). I don't have my first PR card yet, and judging by processing times, it seems very unlikely I'll receive it before it becomes too late to see her.

I've read about the PRTD, but does anyone know how long it takes to receive once in the US? Most of my "study" is actually working in a lab, so I can't actually afford to be away for very long. If the wait time to get a PRTD is more than a week, then I'm not sure it'd work for me, especially with the stress of just having to send out my actual passport in the mail.

As I understand it outside of PRTD, my options are:
  1. Crossing at the border, then flying from Buffalo, NY. My understanding is that if I just drive/walk across the border, I won't actually need my PR card; a confirmation of PR status and my US passport is good enough. The only downside is that due to current COVID restrictions, my husband couldn't come with, and would have to fly direct from Canada.
  2. Flying from Canada (as originally planned). My understanding is that the CBSA is fine with the documents as per the above, but that the airline may not let me get on the plane when I'm heading back to Canada, because I don't have a PR Card / PRTD? Or are they fine with a US passport? Does it depend on the airline?
Is this correct? Do I have any other options in the absence of having my PR Card? For instance, is there any option where I can just present my study permit / passport for travel (especially for air travel)? Or would they see my name in some database as a PR, and thus need my PR Card?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
  1. Crossing at the border, then flying from Buffalo, NY. My understanding is that if I just drive/walk across the border, I won't actually need my PR card; a confirmation of PR status and my US passport is good enough. The only downside is that due to current COVID restrictions, my husband couldn't come with, and would have to fly direct from Canada.
  2. Flying from Canada (as originally planned). My understanding is that the CBSA is fine with the documents as per the above, but that the airline may not let me get on the plane when I'm heading back to Canada, because I don't have a PR Card / PRTD? Or are they fine with a US passport? Does it depend on the airline?
Is this correct? Do I have any other options in the absence of having my PR Card? For instance, is there any option where I can just present my study permit / passport for travel (especially for air travel)? Or would they see my name in some database as a PR, and thus need my PR Card?
I believe your understanding is basically correct, that crossing by road is the only realistic. (It may be that eg airlines let you on but unlikely and not to be relied upon)

Don't know anything about the US restrictions applying to your husband.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hello,

US Citizen from birth, fresh Canadian PR through family sponsorship. I also have an active Canadian study permit that expires late this year. I need to take a trip to the US soon (Aug) to visit my great-grandmother before she passes (and ideally, my Canadian husband would come with). I don't have my first PR card yet, and judging by processing times, it seems very unlikely I'll receive it before it becomes too late to see her.

I've read about the PRTD, but does anyone know how long it takes to receive once in the US? Most of my "study" is actually working in a lab, so I can't actually afford to be away for very long. If the wait time to get a PRTD is more than a week, then I'm not sure it'd work for me, especially with the stress of just having to send out my actual passport in the mail.

by land, you only need your PR Confirmation to re-enter to Canada
you are right: My understanding is that if I just drive/walk across the border, I won't actually need my PR card
By air: you need your PRTD

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
I believe your understanding is basically correct, that crossing by road is the only realistic. (It may be that eg airlines let you on but unlikely and not to be relied upon)

Don't know anything about the US restrictions applying to your husband.
now-a-day, no restrictions to Canadians, just Covid-free requisites to enter to USA

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Hello,

I *think* that if your husband is traveling with you then he can cross the land border into the US without any issues. I've been researching this myself as we're hoping to travel to the US in late September. I'm hoping things will be open on the border on the US side then and make this all a moot point. But, it does look like the spouse of a US citizen is allowed in with the citizen without issues.

bookfreak6

Jul 23, 2021
Thanks for the responses folks, this has put my mind at ease. It's great to know that I'll be able to get back into the country, one way or another. While driving/walking over the border from New York -> ON would be the safest route, is there any idea to tell what level of risk I'd be dealing with if I wanted to try flying back from Maryland -> ON, especially given my US passport and still-active study permit? Would the airline even know I'm a PR, and thus need that PRTD?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for the responses folks, this has put my mind at ease. It's great to know that I'll be able to get back into the country, one way or another. While driving/walking over the border from New York -> ON would be the safest route, is there any idea to tell what level of risk I'd be dealing with if I wanted to try flying back from Maryland -> ON, especially given my US passport and still-active study permit? Would the airline even know I'm a PR, and thus need that PRTD?
The risk is just that you wouldn't be allowed to board.

liste

Mar 27, 2021
I *think* that if your husband is traveling with you then he can cross the land border into the US without any issues. I've been researching this myself as we're hoping to travel to the US in late September. I'm hoping things will be open on the border on the US side then and make this all a moot point. But, it does look like the spouse of a US citizen is allowed in with the citizen without issues.
Where did you get this information? The only exemptions I can find are for spouses of US citizens if they are coming in from high-covid areas (UK, India, etc.). I can find no such exemption for the land border, so am currently planning on flying to the USA whilst my US-citizen spouse drives. This could save us a lot of money and hassle!

When we called the border guard, they said it would be considered discretionary travel and would not be allowed, but I can't remember whether we specified that we would be travelling together.

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Starting August 9th, Canada is allowing vaccinated Americans to enter Canada for non-essential travel (with proof of vaccination, pre-arrival test, ArriveCan app, etc.).
Provided you fulfill the COVID-related requirements, I believe you should be able to fly back to Canada with just your US passport. When you land in Canada, CBSA can easily verify your PR status.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Your study permit should have been cancelled when you got PR. Although it still may appear valid in your passport it will appear canceled when verified. Would not try to use it. You should be able to enter Canada as a US citizenif you are fully vaccinated. US citizens can enter Canada without needing to show their PR card.