+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen moving to Canada options?

Giovanna024

Jun 11, 2019
Hi there, I was in a similar situation. I'm and American citizen and my boyfriend is Canadian and I moved up here in October 2017 under International Experience Canada (IEC). I'm not sure of the specifics of your situation but that is one program that is fairly quick and easy to get started in Canada. I'm halfway through the process of applying for permanent residency (PR) at the moment.
What Program is that?

Giovanna024

Jun 11, 2019
He doesn't have to actually marry you, but you do have to live together for 1 whole year to qualify as a common-law spouse. You can easily do this since you can come to Canada without a visa and live together for six months, then you leave Canada for a week or two, and then come back and live together again.

However, you will not be able to work. You will be here as a tourist, and you won't have the right to work, study, or access healthcare.

Alternatively, your boyfriend could come live with you in the States; works the same way, except in reverse (he can't work, study etc).

It's really not that difficult for US-Canadian couples who are in long-term, serious relationships to get through this. If you and your partner are committed to each other, you can easily get a PR in 12-20 months from today.
Thank You, so its mandatory that we live 1 year together and then we can get married and start application for PR threw spouse sponsorship?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank You, so its mandatory that we live 1 year together and then we can get married and start application for PR threw spouse sponsorship?
No, if you get married there's no requirement to have lived together for a year. It's either/or - either you are married OR you have lived together for a year.

The marriage needs to be genuine (you shouldn't get married JUST for immigration - that can be an additional factor, but it shouldn't look like you are two strangers marrying just to get access to Canada), but since you've been in a relationship for a while that shouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: Giovanna024

Giovanna024

Jun 11, 2019
No, if you get married there's no requirement to have lived together for a year. It's either/or - either you are married OR you have lived together for a year.

The marriage needs to be genuine (you shouldn't get married JUST for immigration - that can be an additional factor, but it shouldn't look like you are two strangers marrying just to get access to Canada), but since you've been in a relationship for a while that shouldn't be an issue.
No, we been together for 2 years already going back and forth to Canada.
I finally made a decision to move there and start new life.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
What @21Goose is saying is correct, but I just want to point out that if your choose to apply as Common Law partners (not legally married), not only do you have to live together for a year, you have to have proof and documentation that you've been residing together for a year. This can be in the form of a lease or house purchase with BOTH your names on it , joint utility accounts (e.g., electricity, gas, telephone, internet), joint credit card accounts, joint bank accounts, vehicle insurance papers showing both partners as living at the same address, or copies of government-issued documents showing that both people reside at the same address. Cell phone bills, pay stubs, tax forms, bank or credit card statements, insurance policies, etc., which show that you live at the same address, are acceptable. So make sure you have at least one of those, and if you don't, sign up for something as soon as you're up here, to get the countdown clock started ASAP.

Hope this helps!

Giovanna024

Jun 11, 2019
What @21Goose is saying is correct, but I just want to point out that if your choose to apply as Common Law partners (not legally married), not only do you have to live together for a year, you have to have proof and documentation that you've been residing together for a year. This can be in the form of a lease or house purchase with BOTH your names on it , joint utility accounts (e.g., electricity, gas, telephone, internet), joint credit card accounts, joint bank accounts, vehicle insurance papers showing both partners as living at the same address, or copies of government-issued documents showing that both people reside at the same address. Cell phone bills, pay stubs, tax forms, bank or credit card statements, insurance policies, etc., which show that you live at the same address, are acceptable. So make sure you have at least one of those, and if you don't, sign up for something as soon as you're up here, to get the countdown clock started ASAP.

Hope this helps!
Thank You so much

I was just curious if its same if you are getting married that you have to live togethr and them married.
Since I am getting married in January 2021 hope this covid 19 will be over.

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Thank You so much

I was just curious if its same if you are getting married that you have to live togethr and them married.
Since I am getting married in January 2021 hope this covid 19 will be over.
No, there's no residency requirement if you apply as a spousal sponsor and primary applicant (married).