+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen interested in Canadian PR, but not sure....

fasoola7321

Star Member
Oct 24, 2018
All,
I am a US citizen, 41 years old university nursing professor. I qualify for Express and informally made a 450-478 score. I have a family (wife and 2 children- 11 and 5 years old) all US citizens. We are established in Texas and are interested in obtaining Canadian PR as an option (back up), insurance to have if we wish to permanently settle in Canada in the future. Is this line of thought possible?

I wanted to know what implications are re-entering Canada with expired PR card (I know my status is not gone unless revoked or voluntarily renounce? I researched that it would be better to do a land crossing from US to Canada and explain to CBSA our intent to permanently settle in Canada. Again, I want to have the right to live and work in Canada but I am not ready to do that just yet. Also, if we visited Canada- can simply enter and exit as a US Passport holder without ever mentioning my PR Card? Does CBSA track of exit out of Canada for US citizens? Any thoughts are appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Think you will find that the cost of living will be much higher than in Texas minus a few areas. Teaching will likely be hard to do but you as well but you can usually find a job in nursing or something related. You likely will have to take a cut to your salary. If you come through Canada you need to admit that you are a PR if asked and they are upgrading the system so it should eventually appear that you are PR if you use your US passport. At your age you'll have to commit to moving within the next 5 years and meet the residency requirement or there is a huge risk that you will lose your PR. If you're able to make it into Canada unreported you have to remain in Canada for 2 years before leaving again. Not sure your reason for moving but Canada is far from perfect so you need to really consider your move.

fasoola7321

Star Member
Oct 24, 2018
Thanks for responding. Agreed, I realize Canada is not perfect but neither is any country for that matter. As I said, its my intent to have this as a plan B or back up. My reason for moving is to have an option or right gained to live and work in Canada.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks for responding. Agreed, I realize Canada is not perfect but neither is any country for that matter. As I said, its my intent to have this as a plan B or back up. My reason for moving is to have an option or right gained to live and work in Canada.
Realistically, if you have no immediate (within 3 years or so) intent to actually live in Canada, you may be wasting your time with your plan.
Nobody knows how strictly or efficiently CBSA/IRCC will enforce compliance with the Residency Obligations in the future.
As cross border monitoring continues to be enhanced, the likelihood of your non-compliance being detected is high.

Reactions: canuck78

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
All,
Does CBSA track of exit out of Canada for US citizens? Any thoughts are appreciated.
I'll help with this last question. Yes - all exits and entries are tracked - and Canada and the US share this information (so pretty easy to piece together the full picture). It's been like this for many years now. I know first hand since my American husband immigrated here. And even back in 2009, they had a full list of all of his entries and exits (both land border and airplane).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would be really hard to use this as your plan B down the road if you have no immediate plans to move to Canada in the next 3-5 years.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All,
I am a US citizen, 41 years old university nursing professor. I qualify for Express and informally made a 450-478 score. I have a family (wife and 2 children- 11 and 5 years old) all US citizens. We are established in Texas and are interested in obtaining Canadian PR as an option (back up), insurance to have if we wish to permanently settle in Canada in the future. Is this line of thought possible?

I wanted to know what implications are re-entering Canada with expired PR card (I know my status is not gone unless revoked or voluntarily renounce? I researched that it would be better to do a land crossing from US to Canada and explain to CBSA our intent to permanently settle in Canada. Again, I want to have the right to live and work in Canada but I am not ready to do that just yet. Also, if we visited Canada- can simply enter and exit as a US Passport holder without ever mentioning my PR Card? Does CBSA track of exit out of Canada for US citizens? Any thoughts are appreciated.
I think, that there might be some mistake in your current points estimation. Of course unless you have following skills (all of them):
1. You are PHD
2. Your English skills are all at CBL 10
3. Your French skills are all at CBL 7+
4. Your wife has Master or PHD
5. Your wife English or French skills are at CBL 9

Why do I say it? Because given your age, you will only get like 30-35 points there (and missing out app. 65-70 points).
To put it in perspective - we sould be talking about a score of 525-530 if you were less than 30 years old.
And honestly, you cannot achieve such score easily (even if you are PHD with perfect English).
So you would have to be bilingual or you would have to have studied or work in Canada or you would have to have a sibling in Canada.

Optionally, your wife could be a main applicant (of course if she is younger and has a Master degree).

Reactions: canuck78

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
I can understand given the current political climate. Nowadays I watch Handmaid's Tale thinking "thank god I'm already approved!" haha.

The cost of applying is not cheap (language exams, credential evaluations, medicals, RPRF, processing fees, and miscellaneous things like shipping, photos, etc... came to about $2000 USD for just myself), but if you have several thousand to throw around then I guess you could take the loss if you decide not to move to Canada. canuck78 is right, though-- the cost of living will likely be higher in Canada compared to Texas and you will probably take a pay cut (something I'm slowly coming to terms with :().

Double check your score on the official score calculator if you haven't. The points breakdown is available here. Also make sure you'd score 67+ on the FSW criteria if you'd be applying through that stream.

fasoola7321

Star Member
Oct 24, 2018
I suppose one can secure the PR status and put in a drawer and if things were to really deteriorate come to a Canadian Land Border crossing with an expired PR card, COPR and any other papers - and hope for the best to be allowed in and if not, renounce it on the spot and turn around and drive back. Thoughts?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I suppose one can secure the PR status and put in a drawer and if things were to really deteriorate come to a Canadian Land Border crossing with an expired PR card, COPR and any other papers - and hope for the best to be allowed in and if not, renounce it on the spot and turn around and drive back. Thoughts?
One of two things would happen at the border: (1) You are allowed in and are not reported for failing to meet the residency requirement. In that case you would need to remain in Canada for two straight years before applying to renew your PR card to ensure you can keep your PR status; (2) You are reported at the border and have to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status. At that hearing, PR status would be officially lost and you would be ordered to leave Canada. You could appeal this decision but without very strong H&C reason it will end the same.

This is of course the current situation. Canada has made moves recently to make it more difficult to return if you don't meet RO (introduction of the eTA). So quite possible all of the above may no longer be true in a few years.

IMO it's a lot of money and effort to spend if you have no intention of moving to Canada in 1-2 years.

Reactions: mgnlky