+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen awaiting OWP response by visitor record expiring. Options?

Gazing11122

Jan 22, 2021
  1. Hi,

US citizen here visiting Canadian spouse. Applied for inland PR and OWP a few months ago and got a temp application number but no other updates. The visitor stamp/record on passport is expiring in a few weeks. What are my options?

This is what I've found from searching the forum and google but I wanted to confirm in case there are clauses to these that I missed:
    1. Continue to stay in Canada on implied status as I wait for a response on my OWP application.
    2. Leave Canada and return after a few days
    3. Apply for a visitor record to extend stay
      • Seems unnecessary since we already applied for the OWP and are on implied status

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
  1. Hi,

US citizen here visiting Canadian spouse. Applied for inland PR and OWP a few months ago and got a temp application number but no other updates. The visitor stamp/record on passport is expiring in a few weeks. What are my options?

This is what I've found from searching the forum and google but I wanted to confirm in case there are clauses to these that I missed:
    1. Continue to stay in Canada on implied status as I wait for a response on my OWP application.
    2. Leave Canada and return after a few days
    3. Apply for a visitor record to extend stay
      • Seems unnecessary since we already applied for the OWP and are on implied status

Do #1 and #3 together.

The reason why you should do both is because you don't know if your application is complete at this time. If your application is returned later due to being incomplete (which happens more often than you think), you'll end up in Canada without status. By applying for the visitor extension, you're effectively getting "insurance" against your application being returned as incomplete and ending up in Canada without status.

#2 is not recommended. Avoid border runs.

Gazing11122

Jan 22, 2021
Thanks scylla!

Called the border earlier today and they suggested we do online visitor extension as well.