+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US/Canadian Citizen Returning to canada!

Hellbrand

Jun 30, 2016
But I've a few questions. Because of my dual citizenship I'm not sure how long i can keep my American plated and registered car in Canada. and considering i have a residence in the united states too , Does that mean I can Have residence in both countries because of my dual citizenship?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Hellbrand said:
But I've a few questions. Because of my dual citizenship I'm not sure how long i can keep my American plated and registered car in Canada. and considering i have a residence in the united states too , Does that mean I can Have residence in both countries because of my dual citizenship?
If you are returning to Canada and plan on making Canada your primary residence, and wish to bring your car over, then you will have to a time limit to get your plates changed (how long depends on the province - Ontario is 60 days). Same with your driver's license.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
"Residence" for what purpose? Customs? Drivers' license, vehicle registration and insurance? "Residence" is an imprecise legal concept with varying meanings and definitions depending on context. Sometimes its fixed by statute, sometimes case law and sometimes by nothing much at all. It doesn't have much to do with your citizenship though. In terms of your car, I"d figure out which country you want to make your primary residence and register and insure it there. Keep in mind that each state and province makes its own laws on that stuff though and you can find yourself in a situation in which you are legally required to register your car and have insurance in more than one jurisdiction at the same time depending on your residential intentions and/or the time your are spending in the various jurisdictions. Better read up on the applicable provincial and/or state law. The Multilateral Convention on Road Traffic--to which both the US and Canada are signatories--may protect you against double registration requirements (or it may not depending on your circumstances), but don't expect local law enforcement to know anything about it.

Moreover, be aware that the US and Canada are still promising to start sharing entry/exit data on their citizens sometime in the near future, so CBP and CBSA will know exactly how long you are spending in each country--meaning they may decide your residency status for customs purposes differently than you self-declare, potentially leading to an import/export nightmare with your car each time you cross--but that is still a ways off probably.