+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US border crossing help

Nov 23, 2016
Manitoba
App. Filed.......
13-03-2018
Hello everyone!

My boyfriend (American citizen) and I plan to take a short trip (3 days) to the States to visit family in Minnesota.

The two of us are common-law and have been living in Manitoba, Canada together since January 17, 2017. We have recently applied for permanent residence (inland) and our application is being processed (we have confirmation emails to prove this). My boyfriend also has a visitor record that expires June 10, 2018. He does not work or go to school in Canada and I have essentially been supporting him.

We understand that we may be taking a risk crossing the border (and have read a lot of horror stories...), but we feel as though we have all the documents in place to allow this quick trip to visit family (who we have not seen in a long time!)

We were just hoping for some tips to help is get through the border, maybe some shared experiences from anyone who has gone through something similar! Would bringing the copy of our application package, receipts, etc. help make the process of crossing the border a little easier?

If it's too risky maybe we'll skip this trip and make them visit us in Manitoba! ~although a change of scenery would be a breath of fresh air -- we both love to travel and have a serious case of wanderlust :p

Thanks!

Last edited:

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
For him.. he is American citizen so he can surely come back to country and based on Canadian visitor visa go back to Canada.

For you... You have to have USA Visitor visa or some kind of visa to enter USA and assuming that you have Canadian Visa so there shouldn't be any issue while going back to Canada.

Plus.. you guys have all the related documents regarding the Canadian PR application... but I see that as a secondary and doesn't have importance as long as you both have visas for both the countries..

Good luck!