+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445
I’m in almost exactly the same situation. I’m from one of the nationalities affected by the travel ban, have a Canadian RTD, and no PR yet. I previously had several U.S. visas, but after my interview at the embassy, my application was placed under 221(g) administrative processing. It has been over two months now with no decision
Did you apply after the travel ban on your nationality or before? Having a RTD literally means you no longer associate with your previous nationality so they shouldn't keep us accountable for a country we got asylum from.
Tell me more about your experience and how your interview went, as I am hesitating whether to even apply or not!!!!
 
Did you apply after the travel ban on your nationality or before? Having a RTD literally means you no longer associate with your previous nationality so they shouldn't keep us accountable for a country we got asylum from.
Tell me more about your experience and how your interview went, as I am hesitating whether to even apply or not!!!!
I hear what you are saying about this and it makes a lot of sense from a fairness point of view.

Unfortunately, the administration down south is .. not really known for fairness, to put it mildly.

The long and short of it is that even though the refugee travel document is issued by Canada, it has a line referencing your nationality. Unless you've somehow formally renounced it and your doc has a blank line or says 'stateless' or something similar - the USA will still consider you as having the citizenship of your home country/the country of the travel ban, and it will be applied to you, as unfair and nonsensical as that sounds.

If Canadian citizenship is in the cards for you in the future though - you should be good once you can travel with a Canadian passport.
 
Did you apply after the travel ban on your nationality or before? Having a RTD literally means you no longer associate with your previous nationality so they shouldn't keep us accountable for a country we got asylum from.
Tell me more about your experience and how your interview went, as I am hesitating whether to even apply or not!!!!
I applied after the travel ban took effect. I had held U.S. visas for many years and traveled to the U.S. several times before. The interview was very simple, but the officer seemed unsure how the ban applied to my Canadian RTD, consulted other officers, and eventually put my case under 221(g) administrative processing. More than two months later, I’m still waiting for a decision.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nov 2023
I applied after the travel ban took effect. I had held U.S. visas for many years and traveled to the U.S. several times before. The interview was very simple, but the officer seemed unsure how the ban applied to my Canadian RTD, consulted other officers, and eventually put my case under 221(g) administrative processing. More than two months later, I’m still waiting for a decision.
I’m in the same boat. Please let know if anything changes.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Waeln
I applied after the travel ban took effect. I had held U.S. visas for many years and traveled to the U.S. several times before. The interview was very simple, but the officer seemed unsure how the ban applied to my Canadian RTD, consulted other officers, and eventually put my case under 221(g) administrative processing. More than two months later, I’m still waiting for a decision.
Hey
Did you hear back from US immigration? Any news on your visa? Keep us updated
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nov 2023
Hi guys, I have my US visa interview next week and wondering what questions were asked during the interview.
I have RTD but no PR. Right now I'm focused more on ties in Canada. I have docs for my full-time job, lease, bank statement, and also my school admission for the Fall.
Any tips?
The officer presumabably ask (not only US every embassy)

* What is the purpose of your trip to the U.S.?
* How long do you plan to stay?
* Where will you stay?
* Who is paying for the trip?
* What do you do for work?
* How long have you been working there?
* What is your immigration status in Canada?
* Why don't you have Canadian PR yet?
* What will make you return to Canada after your U.S. visit?
* Do you have family or other commitments in Canada?
* Have you travelled to other countries before?
Your full-time employment, lease, bank statements and school admission can help demonstrate your circumstances
Good luck with your interview! Hopefully it goes smoothly.
 
Did you apply after the travel ban on your nationality or before? Having a RTD literally means you no longer associate with your previous nationality so they shouldn't keep us accountable for a country we got asylum from.
Tell me more about your experience and how your interview went, as I am hesitating whether to even apply or not!!!!

The norms have totally changed with Trump. Even getting a B1/B2 without being a PR has become incredibly difficult even with previous travel, steady income and savings. Even if you get a visa there is a decent chance you could still be refused at the border.
 
  • Like
Reactions: AMHR