+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgently need to travel to India. Please suggest options.

ryanrf

Jan 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi. My mother-in-law just passed away and I'm looking for information on applying for emergency visa to India.

My situation:
Canadian Citizen, Cancelled Indian passport, OCI application in progress.

I called BLS Canada and they said emergency visas can only be applied at the consulate.
Looking at the Indian Consulate site it suggests that BLS has emergency counters for processing such visas. No one is picking up the phone there so cannot confirm atm.

Another option I saw mentioned in the forums is to apply for an e-visa. If this is the better approach which category do I apply in, and how long does it take to process?

Can I do both? Applying for e-visa seems to be an online application and I can do it faster.
Any info on how to proceed would be appreciated.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi. My mother-in-law just passed away and I'm looking for information on applying for emergency visa to India.

My situation:
Canadian Citizen, Cancelled Indian passport, OCI application in progress.

I called BLS Canada and they said emergency visas can only be applied at the consulate.
Looking at the Indian Consulate site it suggests that BLS has emergency counters for processing such visas. No one is picking up the phone there so cannot confirm atm.

Another option I saw mentioned in the forums is to apply for an e-visa. If this is the better approach which category do I apply in, and how long does it take to process?

Can I do both? Applying for e-visa seems to be an online application and I can do it faster.
Any info on how to proceed would be appreciated.
E-visa is a better option in your case.

ryanrf

Jan 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
E-visa is a better option in your case.
Ok. I'm probably going to apply for e-visa anyway. Will have to do it under tourist visa I guess. Will look at emergency visas after that.
Is in-law's death applicable for emergency visa? The consulate site mentions only "In the cases of death of immediate family members (Parents, Grandparents and Siblings only), "

My wife is in India, so this is just for me.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Ok. I'm probably going to apply for e-visa anyway. Will have to do it under tourist visa I guess. Will look at emergency visas after that.
Is in-law's death applicable for emergency visa? The consulate site mentions only "In the cases of death of immediate family members (Parents, Grandparents and Siblings only), "

My wife is in India, so this is just for me.
Normal e-visa you mostly get within 12-16 hrs.
I am not sure how emergency visa works.