+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT- visitors record for us minor in Canada.?

Longhair

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Hello Everyone

Please I would like your help. I just came across the term "visitors record." I am not a US citizen but my child is.

I have my us minor 9 years old living with me in Canada. I recently graduated and now have a workers permit. In a few months I will be applying for PR.

Upon our initial entry by air in August 2016. I was issues my student permit for myself as I attended Uni. In reference to my child, I told the officer that the child will be travelling to the US in Sept 2016. My child received a stamp valif until Feb 2017. Howver, my child left in Sept 2016 by land for the US where the child lived for 1 year since we landed in Canada. After I settled, my child returned to Canada by land Sept 2017. This time to attend school and reside with me (mom). Ever since, my child has been travelling to the US every June-Sept each year until COVID. My child never received a stamp after Sept 2017. He used a mixture of us passport, birth certificate, us passport id on different occasions. He was never qualified for a study permit but I was never exposed to the term "visitors record." This is all new to me and I trying to research as much as possible.

Now I am very concern that the child might need a visitors record. My child attend school while I work.
1.Is it too late to apply for visitors record? What are my repercussions?
2. Does he need one?
3.What steps do I need to take immediately to protect his status? I know the website state a minor can attend school if a parent has valid status etc.
4. Will this affect my PR application for myself and/ the child?

Any help will be grateful.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Everyone

Please I would like your help. I just came across the term "visitors record." I am not a US citizen but my child is.

I have my us minor 9 years old living with me in Canada. I recently graduated and now have a workers permit. In a few months I will be applying for PR.

Upon our initial entry by air in August 2016. I was issues my student permit for myself as I attended Uni. In reference to my child, I told the officer that the child will be travelling to the US in Sept 2016. My child received a stamp valif until Feb 2017. Howver, my child left in Sept 2016 by land for the US where the child lived for 1 year since we landed in Canada. After I settled, my child returned to Canada by land Sept 2017. This time to attend school and reside with me (mom). Ever since, my child has been travelling to the US every June-Sept each year until COVID. My child never received a stamp after Sept 2017. He used a mixture of us passport, birth certificate, us passport id on different occasions. He was never qualified for a study permit but I was never exposed to the term "visitors record." This is all new to me and I trying to research as much as possible.

Now I am very concern that the child might need a visitors record. My child attend school while I work.
1.Is it too late to apply for visitors record? What are my repercussions?
2. Does he need one?
3.What steps do I need to take immediately to protect his status? I know the website state a minor can attend school if a parent has valid status etc.
4. Will this affect my PR application for myself and/ the child?

Any help will be grateful.
A US citizen is only granted a 6 month stay so unless you have been applying for extensions your child has been overstaying their stay multiple times.

Longhair

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
A US citizen is only granted a 6 month stay so unless you have been applying for extensions your child has been overstaying their stay multiple times.
@canuck78 I had no idea of any of this to be honest. I have never applied for an extension when he returns. I am in panick mode right now. Can you please direct me on my course of action? I think I took what cic website says and my child's permission of entry every time my child entry to canada as ok for lack of better words.

Your guidance please is crucial right now. I do not wish for any negative consequences for my child nor myself.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 I had no idea of any of this to be honest. I have never applied for an extension when he returns. I am in panick mode right now. Can you please direct me on my course of action? I think I took what cic website says and my child's permission of entry every time my child entry to canada as ok for lack of better words.

Your guidance please is crucial right now. I do not wish for any negative consequences for my child nor myself.
When did your child last enter Canada?

Longhair

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
When did your child last enter Canada?
My child last entered Sept 2019. Was scheduled to travel in April 2020 but Covid took place. I know in the past I have only inquired about study permit because that is what i was exposed to but never heard of visitors visa until now. I inquired with IRCC at the time. He has been going to school etc.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My child last entered Sept 2019. Was scheduled to travel in April 2020 but Covid took place. I know in the past I have only inquired about study permit because that is what i was exposed to but never heard of visitors visa until now. I inquired with IRCC at the time. He has been going to school etc.
Unless your child has another date stamped on their passport they have been out of status since March/April 2020. You are actually very lucky because Canada is allowing people to restore their status if they entered Canada after January 2020 because of covid. Foreign nationals can’t just remain in Canada indefinitely. You must pay attention to expiry dates or limits on how long you can remain. You got pretty lucky that your child’s previous overstays were not brought up when they entered the country the last time.

https://www.cicnews.com/2021/01/temporary-residents-now-have-until-summer-2021-to-restore-their-status-2-0116683.html#gs.zwkz1w

Longhair

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Unless your child has another date stamped on their passport they have been out of status since March/April 2020. You are actually very lucky because Canada is allowing people to restore their status if they entered Canada after January 2020 because of covid. Foreign nationals can’t just remain in Canada indefinitely. You must pay attention to expiry dates or limits on how long you can remain. You got pretty lucky that your child’s previous overstays were not brought up when they entered the country the last time.

https://www.cicnews.com/2021/01/temporary-residents-now-have-until-summer-2021-to-restore-their-status-2-0116683.html#gs.zwkz1w
No, my child's last entry was in 2019. April 2020 travel did not take place due to covid. We had to cancel all travel plans.

Will this also negatively affect my PR?

How do I move forward to correct this mistake.

Thanks

Longhair

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Your child was allowed to remain for 6 months unless there is a stamp that indicates otherwise.
Oh my God, I am tearing up right now, therefore I need to apply to restore his status and maintain this every 6 months correct? When I am filling this out, am I applying for extending my stay as a "visitor" with a "temporary stay of more than 6 months?" Since I (mom) has a work permit.

Omg a sigh of relief! I appreciate you
Love and light @canuck78

Longhair

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020

Will his previous overstays be a factor in this now application for restoration? Then I need to apply for visitors records? I think I would be required to write a letter explaining why my child overstayed, correct?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh my God, I am tearing up right now, therefore I need to apply to restore his status and maintain this every 6 months correct? When I am filling this out, am I applying for extending my stay as a "visitor" with a "temporary stay of more than 6 months?" Since I (mom) has a work permit.

Omg a sigh of relief! I appreciate you
Love and light @canuck78
Would ask for his stay to match the end of your pgwp but only if he/she is remaining in Canada. Once you leave Canada and enter again the clock starts again. I would apologize for any overstay and say you interpreted the no stamp as unlimited while you were studying or working. It will still be considered your fault but a mea culpa is the best thing you can do.

Longhair

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Would ask for his stay to match the end of your pgwp but only if he/she is remaining in Canada. Once you leave Canada and enter again the clock starts again. I would apologize for any overstay and say you interpreted the no stamp as unlimited while you were studying or working. It will still be considered your fault but a mea culpa is the best thing you can do.
Thank you @canuck78 ! I pray that we will be pardoned. One more thing. Would I be required to show proof of funding for the rest of his time here with the restoration application. If so, would my employment letter work as my child is a minor? If so, what estimation of funding do you suggest?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you @canuck78 ! I pray that we will be pardoned. One more thing. Would I be required to show proof of funding for the rest of his time here with the restoration application. If so, would my employment letter work as my child is a minor? If so, what estimation of funding do you suggest?
Yes you should include proof that you can support your child. Bank statement and employment letter should be fine.

Longhair

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Thank you so much for your guidance. I will keep you posted and return if I have further concerns.
Love and light

Longhair

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Yes you should include proof that you can support your child. Bank statement and employment letter should be fine.
@canuck78 for my child's application, the passport expires in Nov 2022, since I am restoring the status am I selecting:

Which one or two options to I select: Extend my stay as a visitor / restore my status/ get a new trp?

How long are you planning to stay in Canada? Is it temporary more than 6 months or temporary less than 6 months?

Date and place of most recent entry to Canada: 1-sept-2019 but i cannot remember the name of the border. What place should I put?

Purpose of my visit: Tourism/ other/ family visit
Which do I select?

Indicate how long you plan to stay: from - to
Do i put a 6 months period or to the life of my child's passport?

Employment:
CURRENT Activity/occupation: Since my child is a minor at 9. Will I leave this blank or should I indicate student since my child is allowed to go to school while here with me(valid permit holder)?

Have you ever remain beyond validity of your status, attended school without authorization or worked without authorization in Canada: yes (answering remain beyond...)
Reason: cannot engage in nonessential travel due to covid?

My child's old passport has the entry and other stamps while the new passport issued 2017 has no stamp at all since my child has been using the land border to travel and never received any stamps. Do I copy the old one as well ?

Thanks for clarifying my concerns

Last edited: