+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent -- Visitor extension application, US in CAN

PeculiarCupcake

Apr 17, 2015
I posted a couple of other threads but don't seem to get many helpful replies so maybe if I explain our situation a little more, someone can offer advice. This is kind of time-sensitive.

I am Canadian and my boyfriend is American. He has been living with me since December 10th. We are aiming to get his visitor status extended until this December so that we can apply for his PR under a common-law sponsorship since we are technically not considered common-law yet. HOWEVER, the application for extension has a Common-Law Statutory Declaration and I'm confused as to if we are eligible to fill it out to help his application. Both of our names are on the condo lease as well as tenant insurance papers and he is also listed as my secondary driver and covered under my vehicle insurance. I thought about attaching his name to my account and having it joint as well. We had a return ticket booked for him on March 13th but we cancelled and he has a credit so that can be used for his flight back if needed.

Since he has been here, I have been supporting us financially although I don't have like $10k in the bank and I'm not sure as to whether or not the CIC requires my bank statements or maybe just a confirmation of employment as well as my tax statements? I am also a bit lost when it comes to the letter that I'm supposed to send stating that I am financially responsible for him since I have seen so many different versions on here and they don't seem to match up well with my situation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you are not eligible to complete the Common-Law Statutory Declaration since you aren't yet common law. You would only fill this out if you had already lived together for at least one full year.

If you send pay stubs and tax statements I think you should be fine.

Make sure you mention that you are asking for the extension so that you can live together for a full year to become common law and then apply for PR. This typically guarantees approval.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

PeculiarCupcake

Apr 17, 2015
Alright and in the section "Coming to Canada," it asks for his original entry date into Canada as well as his most recent. He has been to Canada as a child but he was only issued his passport last year when he came for a visit in August. I guess his original date would be when the 6-month period started?

Also if he has an inexhaustible income (through me), I'm not sure what I state for his current funds for stay?

Johninsask

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2015
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
18-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-09-2016
My common-law partner and I were in the exact same situation (I'm from the USA, she's from Canada). She wrote a letter to CIC (which we enclosed in my visitor extension application) saying that she's support my needs financially. In that letter she spelled out what her expected salary would be for the next 12 months. We did not provide any proof at all of her finances.

His original entry refers to your current situation. I've visited Canada many times over the years, but used the date that I went specifically to visit my partner for my first visitor extension and for the Permanent Residence application we just filed. No need for the statutory of common law declaration.

All that said... do yourselves a *huge* favour and start preparing your PR application now. Also, it's always a good idea to get multiple opinions when seeking advice on these boards. Good luck!

PeculiarCupcake

Apr 17, 2015
Thank you so much! Would you be able to give me an example of the letter she sent to CIC? I'm not exactly sure what I have to say.

As for his visit to Canada, I was going to put it as "Other" and then state that he came to visit his girlfriend (me), or should that be "Family Visit?" We're very new to this CIC business and would just like some clarifications.

Also with the people/institutions he plans to visit, I am going to list myself and a mutual friend of ours (technically mine, but he is friends with her common-law as well).

Any help is appreciated! :)

Johninsask

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2015
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
18-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-09-2016
You're welcome. I probably shouldn't post the letter, but I can say that it was very simple and to the point. She said her name, date of birth and said that I was invited to stay with her during my stay, and that she would provide for all of my needs. She closed the letter stating her yearly salary and job title.

For the reason for my visit to Canada, I checked off Tourism. And indeed, it was true because I visiting and learning about Canada and genuinely touring our city. But you can check other (i.e. visiting girlfriend) as well. As for People/Institutions... we listed only her.

When requesting the duration, you might do well to ask for a two year extension if you are 100% sure that you're going to apply for PR. However, this might be something to ask CIC or an immigration professional about. Otherwise ask for 6 months.

Honestly, the bar is set pretty low for visitor extensions, so don't overthink it.

But definitely double/triple check that you've uploaded the necessary documents. My first visitor extension got refused because, amazingly enough, I uploaded the wrong file (it happens!) for my passport. In fact, since you're in a legit relationship, I'd be more worried about technical screw-ups.

PeculiarCupcake

Apr 17, 2015
Oh yes, I didn't mean to post the actual letter but just kind of give me an idea (which you did, thanks!). To play it safe, I'll use Tourism as well for his purpose as he was technically touring the city and various others as we did some road trips.

Did you apply online within Canada? I also posted about that but didn't get an answer. Which way would be best to go? I know online is faster and we pretty well have everything we need to do so.

Johninsask

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2015
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
18-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-09-2016
Yes, I applied from inside Canada, and online. Right now it's supposedly taking two months for online applications, and over three for snail mail applications. I would go with the online option because it's quicker and easier. Additionally, he will be granted implied status until his application is decided (even if that comes well after his original status would have expired).

PeculiarCupcake

Apr 17, 2015
Thank you so much, you have been of great help!

One last thing is the "Funds available for stay" section. I was thinking I would put $6000 as that covers approximately $500 per month, which he doesn't even use. He has his basic needs covered and doesn't require much else. Would that be alright? In my letter, I will be stating my projected salary for the next year and it will clearly say that I have more than enough to cover that.

Johninsask

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2015
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
18-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-09-2016
The funds available for stay is an interesting one. We put $1,000 for the initial app and restoration. But hey, $6,000 is six times better! 8)

carmine

Nov 16, 2015
Hi I'm currently in canada visting my Canadian wife.. my time is up in January. I'm currently scared to fly home now with isis threating u.s.. I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking maybe an extension. Any help is appreciated..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
carmine said:
Hi I'm currently in canada visting my Canadian wife.. my time is up in January. I'm currently scared to fly home now with isis threating u.s.. I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking maybe an extension. Any help is appreciated..
If you want to extend your trip, then yes - you would need to apply for an extension before your current stay ends. It's not clear what other help you're looking for.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
carmine said:
CIC has a pilot program for Citizens/PRs to sponsor their spouse inland where the spouse is in Canada and has a valid TRV. You can get an approval in principle (AIP) and a work permit in as few as 4 months. Have you looked into this as PR status will get rid of the ongoing 'visitor' visa extension issues and provide you with a PR Card to facilitate re-entry into Canada? Your place of usual residence isn't very clear - is it in the ME say Syria?