+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT*Visa extension for marriage

jlizzy

Aug 20, 2020
Hi all,

My fiancee’s visitor record expires Oct 08, 2020. We are getting married next month in Sept. I am planning to apply for an inland spousal sponsorship. I was wondering what would be a good reason for my fiancee to state on her extention app. She has been in Canada since April 2019 (originally on a working holiday visa 1yr) and changed her status to visitor on April 2020 (this would be her second extension). I have read in other threads that applying for sponsorship prior to the extension would increase the success of the app being approved. My concern is that I don’t have sufficient time to get the marriage certificate and apply for the sponsorship before the visitor record expires. Also, we plan on sending the extension 30 days prior to the expiry date so we would officially not be married at the time of application, as our marriage will be held late Sept.

Based on this would it be best to:
a)Apply extension for visit purposes
b)Apply extension with intention of marriage and spousal sponsorship

If choosing option b) would a marriage license and fee receipt of the sponsorship be enough to build a strong case for extension? and would you advise sending the extension before or after marriage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
The best thing to do would be to submit your Spouse in Canada sponsorship and application prior to October 8, including an application for an open work permit. That will put your then-spouse on implied status until the work permit is issued.

jlizzy

Aug 20, 2020
The best thing to do would be to submit your Spouse in Canada sponsorship and application prior to October 8, including an application for an open work permit. That will put your then-spouse on implied status until the work permit is issued.
Thanks for your reply, I don’t think I would be able to apply before Oct 8 as it would take some time to gather all the documents (I need some docs from overseas).

Do you think applying with the intention of marriage and spousal sponsorship would lower the success of the extension being approved?

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
You're already in Canada, preparing an in-Canada spousal application, so I think your intentions are pretty clear. Results vary (depending on every little detail in your application and immigration history), but I can't imagine IRCC refusing a visitor extension under the general circumstance.

BlooQkazoi

Aug 24, 2020
Any idea when did you applied ? and did you applied for extension after marriage or before getting marriage?
I applied my spouse sponsorship applications in May 4th and I extended my visitor's record from July 28th to January 15th But I'm not sure I could get AOR number before it expires