+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Trip after Oath

tonbleu

Feb 24, 2023
Hi all,

Is it legal to exit and enter Canada with a foreign passport, after the citizenship oath? I understood that once the oath is taken, I am officially a Canadian citizen, and therefore I must travel with a Canadian passport. However due to all sorts of waiting and delays (which you all know), I don't expect to receive my passport on time before having to travel outside Canada. Thus I'm wondering if the following could work:
  • After oath, I will exit Canada with my original foreign passport
    • I can exit via vehicle to the U.S. first, if it makes things easier.
  • My citizenship certificate will likely be issued before returning to Canada
  • I will get access to the certificate before returning, to serve as proof that I should be able to enter Canada, despite holding a foreign passport without a valid visa / PR card (which would be destroyed as a part of the oath).
    • I can enter via vehicle from the U.S., if it makes things easier.
Please let me know if anyone has been in a similar situation where a trip must be taken before getting the passport! Thanks very much in advance, and wish everyone the best of luck during the application process!

kenjia01

Star Member
Nov 5, 2017
Once you're Canadian, you can only use your Canadian passport to enter the country by air, this is an issue with the airline since they will prevent you from boarding. But if it's via land from the US, some in this forum mentioned that it's okay as long as you have your certificate with you when crossing the border.

If you possess the certificate while outside of Canada and can wait for about 2 weeks or so, you can also apply for your passport abroad. I did exactly that and it took 8 business days to have it in my hand.

Reactions: snoopyta

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

Is it legal to exit and enter Canada with a foreign passport, after the citizenship oath? I understood that once the oath is taken, I am officially a Canadian citizen, and therefore I must travel with a Canadian passport. However due to all sorts of waiting and delays (which you all know), I don't expect to receive my passport on time before having to travel outside Canada. Thus I'm wondering if the following could work:
  • After oath, I will exit Canada with my original foreign passport
    • I can exit via vehicle to the U.S. first, if it makes things easier.
  • My citizenship certificate will likely be issued before returning to Canada
  • I will get access to the certificate before returning, to serve as proof that I should be able to enter Canada, despite holding a foreign passport without a valid visa / PR card (which would be destroyed as a part of the oath).
    • I can enter via vehicle from the U.S., if it makes things easier.
Please let me know if anyone has been in a similar situation where a trip must be taken before getting the passport! Thanks very much in advance, and wish everyone the best of luck during the application process!
The only option would be to enter via vehicle from the US. You won't be able to fly.

Reactions: snoopyta

tonbleu

Feb 24, 2023
Once you're Canadian, you can only use your Canadian passport to enter the country by air, this is an issue with the airline since they will prevent you from boarding. But if it's via land from the US, some in this forum mentioned that it's okay as long as you have your certificate with you when crossing the border.

If you possess the certificate while outside of Canada and can wait for about 2 weeks or so, you can also apply for your passport abroad. I did exactly that and it took 8 business days to have it in my hand.
Thanks for answering and sharing! It sounds like the only event that must take place within Canada is the Oath ceremony then... since the certificate is mailed, and the passport can be applied from outside Canada.

TheJim

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
Montreal, Quebec
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
17-08-2014
AOR Received.
16-09-2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Not Required
VISA ISSUED...
31-12-2014
LANDED..........
12-12-2014
I don't know if your experience will be the same but the day after the oath ceremony I received an email inviting me to collect the certificate in person 2 weeks later.

When I was applying for the passport there is an option to for urgent processing at the passport office in person but you have to have proof of travel (like a booking confirmation) with you and they can process the passport more quickly. Good luck!

Reactions: tonbleu