+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT: Temporary laid off due to COVID, am I still eligible for CEC?

roycejbwk

Jun 13, 2020
Good morning,
Long story short, I am currently on PGWP, I was put on furlough after 1 year of employment at my company. I have my CELPIP exam scheduled at the end of September, after which I planned on applying for PR once I get my results.
Can I still apply for PR and CEC without currently holding a job? I know that I'll be missing out on the 50 points job offer(or correct me if I'm wrong).

roycejbwk

Jun 13, 2020
You can apply as long as you have one year of skilled work experience in Canada. You wouldn't get the 50 points anyways without an LMIA.
Thank you for your response, how would I go about obtaining an LMIA if needed? I read about it briefly and your employer must prove that they cant hire a Canadian or PR to do my task(which I highly doubt)

EmyHoang

Star Member
Mar 22, 2020
Just let you know, i also was laid off in may bc of covid, nothing effect then as my eligibility passed per gcms note, just biometrics pending

Reactions: roycejbwk

shogunsft

May 11, 2018
Toronto
Just let you know, i also was laid off in may bc of covid, nothing effect then as my eligibility passed per gcms note, just biometrics pending
Hey how long were you laid off? I was laid off for a month and was wondering if I needed to wait a month longer to hit the one year mark to apply for EE

EmyHoang

Star Member
Mar 22, 2020
Hey how long were you laid off? I was laid off for a month and was wondering if I needed to wait a month longer to hit the one year mark to apply for EE
For 3 months, I just got a new job in early August. You have to wait for 1 more month to make it enough 1 year. Cec will not count 1 month off