+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

urgent suggestion to keep my canadian pr

shama101

Jun 4, 2019
hello friends,
I am a canadian pr, my expiry is may 30th 2020. i studied mbbs from malaysia and about to start internship in bangladesh because i a bengali. due to extreme irresponsible way of work progression in bangladesh, my papers has been delayed and unable to start internship already. i need to finish my internship for a full one year. now, i am extremely tensed about my pr. it took a lot of me and my family to get this pr status and now if i will lose it just for my internship it would be devastating to me and my family. on the other hand, my family already lives in canada but its just me lagging behind due to completion of my medical internship. this internship however is very essential for the medical journey throughout and i cant afford to not do it. my next plan is to give mccqe exam once i reach in canada. i know how overly tensed i and my family is in this situation. if only things in my country were in my hands i could deliberately do something about it. i need desperate help.
thankyou

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hello friends,
I am a canadian pr, my expiry is may 30th 2020. i studied mbbs from malaysia and about to start internship in bangladesh because i a bengali. due to extreme irresponsible way of work progression in bangladesh, my papers has been delayed and unable to start internship already. i need to finish my internship for a full one year. now, i am extremely tensed about my pr. it took a lot of me and my family to get this pr status and now if i will lose it just for my internship it would be devastating to me and my family. on the other hand, my family already lives in canada but its just me lagging behind due to completion of my medical internship. this internship however is very essential for the medical journey throughout and i cant afford to not do it. my next plan is to give mccqe exam once i reach in canada. i know how overly tensed i and my family is in this situation. if only things in my country were in my hands i could deliberately do something about it. i need desperate help.
thankyou
There's nothing you can do at this time to ensure you can keep your PR status. Once you are ready to return to Canada, you will have to try re-entering Canada and hope you are not reported for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you are successful in re-entering Canada without being reported, you will need to remain in Canada without leaving until you meet the 2 year residency requirement. You want to return to Canada before your PR card expires. If you wait until after your PR card expires to try to return to Canada, it will be much more difficult and it will be much more likely that you will lose PR.

You don't say what family you have in Canada. If you have a spouse in Canada, then that spouse can sponsor you for PR if you end up losing your PR status. You should expect this sponsorship process to take approximately a year.

Note that it will likely take several years to be certified to work as a doctor in Canada once you move here.

Reactions: YVR123

shama101

Jun 4, 2019
thank you scylla. my family is my mom dad and little sister. i am not married yet. i really hope i can enter canada before my pr expires. is there a chance of securing my pr by entering canada for a short visit in this less than 365 days left (prolly in august)? how about any documents or files or accounts i could create or register in canada which i can prove that i am eager to live in canada and only due to my situation i have to be out of canada? i also have my g license in canada. if (god forbids) my pr expires, then what happens to my driving license? will that be cancelled too?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thank you scylla. my family is my mom dad and little sister. i am not married yet. i really hope i can enter canada before my pr expires. is there a chance of securing my pr by entering canada for a short visit in this less than 365 days left (prolly in august)? how about any documents or files or accounts i could create or register in canada which i can prove that i am eager to live in canada and only due to my situation i have to be out of canada? i also have my g license in canada. if (god forbids) my pr expires, then what happens to my driving license? will that be cancelled too?
No - there isn't a chance to secure PR through a short visit. You need to return to Canada and then live in Canada until you have met the residency requirement (i.e. living in Canada for 2 out of the last 5 years). You cannot renew your PR card until you meet the residency requirement.

No - there aren't any documents or files you can provide to help your situation. You have made a personal decision to study outside of Canada and cannot use this as a reason for failing to meet the residency requirement.

Unfortunately having parents and siblings in Canada isn't of any help. If you lose your PR status, they cannot sponsor you for PR.

It's very important that you return to Canada before your PR card expires and then be able to remain in Canada without leaving until you meet the residency obligation.

Melchett

Star Member
Nov 2, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
16-07-2018
If you are outside Canada and your card has expired, you can get a Permanent Resident Travel Document in order to come back to Canada. Just make sure you fulfill (and will fulfill after coming back) the two out of five years residency requirement.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
There's nothing you can do at this time to ensure you can keep your PR status. Once you are ready to return to Canada, you will have to try re-entering Canada and hope you are not reported for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you are successful in re-entering Canada without being reported, you will need to remain in Canada without leaving until you meet the 2 year residency requirement. You want to return to Canada before your PR card expires. If you wait until after your PR card expires to try to return to Canada, it will be much more difficult and it will be much more likely that you will lose PR.

You don't say what family you have in Canada. If you have a spouse in Canada, then that spouse can sponsor you for PR if you end up losing your PR status. You should expect this sponsorship process to take approximately a year.

Note that it will likely take several years to be certified to work as a doctor in Canada once you move here.
Agree with scylla.
I have trouble understanding why you want to finish your schooling outside if you really planned to settle in Canada.

If you qualified, you may want to look into getting your education done in Canada instead. Medical degree outside in general do not allow you to work as a doctor in Canada.

BTW the PR card expiry has nothing to do with your RO. It's the day you first landed in Canada. And you need to live in Canada 2 years out of 5 years (from the day you became PR).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you looked at how few IMGs get to practice medicine in Canada? Most can’t get residency positions. Having decided to attend medical school in Malaysia you were aware that you couldn’t meet your RO. You can’t meet your RO but also seems like you won’t be able to enter Canada without getting a PRTD and attending school abroad is not a reason for H&C. This plan never made sense so not sure why you decided to pursue schooling outside Canada if you wanted to retain your PR?

andybc

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
hello friends,
thankyou
Between the day of your landing in 2015 and today, how long have you resided in Canada?

If it is less than one year it would literally be impossible for you to fulfill your residency obligations. You will run into trouble either when re-entering Canada (but maybe not) and definitely will run into trouble once applying for a renewal for your PR card because you will have to state where you have lived during the past years.