+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: Studying 2 years for a 1 year master's program

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Hi guys, I have completed the requirements for my masters and it took me two years instead of one year. Does this mean there is a chance of getting 3 years pgwp? I have transferred from thesis-based to course-based masters this is why it took me longer to finish it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys, I have completed the requirements for my masters and it took me two years instead of one year. Does this mean there is a chance of getting 3 years pgwp? I have transferred from thesis-based to course-based masters this is why it took me longer to finish it. Any suggestions? Thanks.
No - there most likely isn't a chance for a 3 year PGWP. You will be given a PGWP that is the length of the program you finished. The fact that it took you two years to finish is irrelevant.

Reactions: 17ha15

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Were you part-time during any of your studies?

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
wait so is the actual course length supposed to be 1 year or 2?

if its 1 year then you surely will not get 3 year pgwp. does not matter how long you take or even when changing courses so long as the new course is still 1 year in length
No - there most likely isn't a chance for a 3 year PGWP. You will be given a PGWP that is the length of the program you finished. The fact that it took you two years to finish is irrelevant.
I started with thesis based masters which is a 2 years program but decided to transfer couple of months ago so in my transcript, the duration is 2 years. So it is impossible to get a 3 years PGWP? I know people who repeated courses and extended there course program just to get more pgwp and it worked for them.

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
im not interested in your original programme

based on your wording your new course was meant to be completed in a year right? if so yes you wont get the pgwp.

and are you going to do the same thing as them? btw unless my memory failed me but failing courses and repeating it, hence prolonging your course duration is not a legit way to get a longer pgwp.

if ircc finds out one day then good luck to them
I never failed or repeated a course. I transferred from thesis based masters in civil engineering to course based masters in civil engineering so the final and new program is one year but I completed it in 2 years because of the transfer

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I started with thesis based masters which is a 2 years program but decided to transfer couple of months ago so in my transcript, the duration is 2 years. So it is impossible to get a 3 years PGWP? I know people who repeated courses and extended there course program just to get more pgwp and it worked for them.
People do not get rewarded with longer PGWPs by taking more time to do a course or by failing and repeating courses.

Reactions: 17ha15

Gigixo

May 2, 2020
I never failed or repeated a course. I transferred from thesis based masters in civil engineering to course based masters in civil engineering so the final and new program is one year but I completed it in 2 years because of the transfer
Hi there, this post was from awhile ago but I just wonder if you ended up getting the PGWP afterwards?