+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[urgent] student permit expired, waiting on PNP application

t_wen

Sep 15, 2013
Hi all,
i'm currently going through a lot of trouble with an immigration lawyer who is not committed and fleecing money off me constantly.

i was a student with a Malaysian passport residing in Vancouver BC who has completed course earlier this year with a student permit that expires 20th December. (2 days ago)
i have sent off an application to BC PNP for a work application around last month, was told by my lawyer that i would have implied status up to 2 months and would have to apply for a 6-month TRV in order to remain in Canada for the duration of the PNP processing (which was 8~9 months).

i am currently still in Vancouver and out of status as my student permit expired on 20th Dec and now my lawyer is forcing me to hire him to apply for a TRV urgently as he says i am not under implied status. i am really confused as he mentioned about having an implied status earlier and now he has changed his opinion. also very upset as this lawyer has been asking me to pay constantly for consulting but only answering one question at a time and demanding more payments.

please advice!

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I understand the situation you are in right now. I couldn't understand completely if your study permit expired or your work permit. I am assuming you had one year work permit which expired on 20th December and now you do have 90 days period to apply for restoration of your status. You needn't even hire this stupid lawyer. You can apply on your own by going through my cic login.

Also, do you have a written contract (agreement) with this so called lawyer? Is he/she a lawyer or a consultant?

t_wen

Sep 15, 2013
hi sabby,
thanks for the reply. yes i was on a one year student permit that expired on the 20th of December.
i do not have a written contract with said immigration lawyer but i will proceed with the restoration of status application by myself.
i have created a cic login and will proceed with the restoration application.

will i be able to apply for a multiple-entry visa after restoration in case i might need to leave and return?

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

t_wen said:
Hi all,
i'm currently going through a lot of trouble with an immigration lawyer who is not committed and fleecing money off me constantly.

i was a student with a Malaysian passport residing in Vancouver BC who has completed course earlier this year with a student permit that expires 20th December. (2 days ago)
i have sent off an application to BC PNP for a work application around last month, was told by my lawyer that i would have implied status up to 2 months and would have to apply for a 6-month TRV in order to remain in Canada for the duration of the PNP processing (which was 8~9 months).

i am currently still in Vancouver and out of status as my student permit expired on 20th Dec and now my lawyer is forcing me to hire him to apply for a TRV urgently as he says i am not under implied status. i am really confused as he mentioned about having an implied status earlier and now he has changed his opinion. also very upset as this lawyer has been asking me to pay constantly for consulting but only answering one question at a time and demanding more payments.

please advice!

1. You can't apply for a TRV if you don't have a SP/WP status first.
2. All 'work application' (PGWP) goes to CPC-Vegreville, not to BC PNP.
3. Your best option would be to apply for restoration + study permit. Still no guarantee.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

t_wen said:
hi sabby,
thanks for the reply. yes i was on a one year student permit that expired on the 20th of December.
i do not have a written contract with said immigration lawyer but i will proceed with the restoration of status application by myself.
i have created a cic login and will proceed with the restoration application.

will i be able to apply for a multiple-entry visa after restoration in case i might need to leave and return?
1. You will be restoring status as a visitor. You can't apply for a PGWP as you are out of status. Visitors can't apply for a TRV in Canada, you will have to apply to an overseas office.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can you please also share if you finished your program and were eligible for work permit?

Assuming you finished your program, and were eligible for work permit, but now you can't apply for it as you are on restoration period. However, the best option right now will be to apply for another study permit, at least of one semester and once you finish it, then you should apply for PGWP.

t_wen

Sep 15, 2013
Hi Sabby,
unfortunately I've already used up a PGWP about 2 years ago with my previous student visa. I applied for another student visa in order to remain in Canada for another course and later sent off this application for my PNP work permit.

As of now, I'm in a tough situation as I have a friend's wedding to attend to in Canada in April. As far as I know, I am on a 90 days grace period being out of status.
If I send off my restoration application later during February or so - would that buy me more time so I can make it for the wedding? I've heard that restoration of visitor permits are only up to 3 months and I wouldn't want it to expire by March.