+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent, should I file taxes!

ashrafabd5

Oct 21, 2015
Hi All, here's my timeline:
  1. Landed in July 2017 and stayed for a month.
  2. During July 2017 opened a chequing bank account and issued a credit card. RESP as well with 100 dollars deposit.
  3. Used this credit card during my stay and always pay on time.
  4. 2018 never visited Canada.
  5. 2019 visited Canada in August and stayed for 45 days.
Myself and my wife and one of my 2 daughters have PR and SIN, while my second daughter is a canadian citizen without SIN.

We are planning to move to Canada this July or August permanently.

My question is: do I have to file any taxes? For my self or my wife?

How about OSAP or the other government benefits for children? Is it going to be affected if I haven't filed 2017, 18 or 19 taxes?

If anyone has been in this situation, would be delighted to hear from you! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All, here's my timeline:
  1. Landed in July 2017 and stayed for a month.
  2. During July 2017 opened a chequing bank account and issued a credit card. RESP as well with 100 dollars deposit.
  3. Used this credit card during my stay and always pay on time.
  4. 2018 never visited Canada.
  5. 2019 visited Canada in August and stayed for 45 days.
Myself and my wife and one of my 2 daughters have PR and SIN, while my second daughter is a canadian citizen without SIN.

We are planning to move to Canada this July or August permanently.

My question is: do I have to file any taxes? For my self or my wife?

How about OSAP or the other government benefits for children? Is it going to be affected if I haven't filed 2017, 18 or 19 taxes?

If anyone has been in this situation, would be delighted to hear from you! Thanks in advance.
You need to call CRA and ask them to determine whether you are a resident for tax purposes for 2017-2019. Next year you will have to figure out 2020. You shouldn't have opened something like a RESP and credit card if not wanting to create ties to Canada. CRA will ask you about your Canadian credit card, RESP account (s) and any other tie you may have in Canada.

Dis you live in Canada before you got PR? When did you have your Canadian child and what was your status then? There are separate residency requirements to meet in order to receive "free" healthcare. Otherwise you can be asked to pay back any services you used.

OSAP is something entirely different.

ashrafabd5

Oct 21, 2015
Hi, thanks very much for your reply. Never received any help from the government on my RESP, I deposited 100 dollars only. Anyway the bank account and credit cards are secondary ties.

"Secondary residential ties that may be relevant include: personal property in Canada, such as a car or furniture social ties in Canada, such as memberships in Canadian recreational or religious organizations economic ties in Canada, such as Canadian bank accounts or credit cards a Canadian driver's licence a Canadian passport health insurance with a Canadian province or territory"

I left to Canada in 2019 planning to stay permanently and my child was born while there... but due to my other child sickness I had to travel

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, thanks very much for your reply. Never received any help from the government on my RESP, I deposited 100 dollars only. Anyway the bank account and credit cards are secondary ties.

"Secondary residential ties that may be relevant include: personal property in Canada, such as a car or furniture social ties in Canada, such as memberships in Canadian recreational or religious organizations economic ties in Canada, such as Canadian bank accounts or credit cards a Canadian driver's licence a Canadian passport health insurance with a Canadian province or territory"

I left to Canada in 2019 planning to stay permanently and my child was born while there... but due to my other child sickness I had to travel
So you should have paid for the any maternity care and the delivery. Setting up an RESP does create ties and using Canadian credit cards create ties. CRA is the only one who can determine whether you are a resident for tax purposes. Would also be contacting the province you gave birth in to repay yoyr birth expenses as well as any pre/postnatal care.

ashrafabd5

Oct 21, 2015
I have paid all costs related to maternity in cash. But again all these things are not considered as primary or significant ties! It's clearly mentioned online! Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have paid all costs related to maternity in cash. But again all these things are not considered as primary or significant ties! It's clearly mentioned online! Thank you
Always up to CRA to determine. Starting a sheltered savings account for a child is not typical for someone not settling in Canada. Impossible for anyone on a forum to comment unless a person has zero ties.

Reactions: chiradeepguha

ashrafabd5

Oct 21, 2015
Resp was opened as the plan's was to stay.. but my daughter sickness and the covid situation kept us away :(