+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent - Residence Questionnaire that ask information about ex-wife's school/job

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
Note that the question in RQ asks information about your spouse, not ex-spouse.

Since you are divorced now, she is not your spouse anymore. Therefore, in my understanding you do not have to enter any information about her now in the list of your family members, as she is not your family member and not your spouse anymore.

You can put a cover letter in which you can explain that you are divorced now and attached copy of the divorce certificate.

Seniors, please comment and provide feedback.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Indusvision, while I agree that that argument could be made, the RQ is backward-looking. She is relevant and indicative of his residency for the period before they separated.

The divorce does not erase their past together and the RQ is an inquiry into the past.

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
If he starts adding information about his ex-spouse, what should be the answer of the question "If your spouse or common-law partner or children are living in Canada, are they attending school?"?
Should he put schooling details of his ex-spouse here? Honestly, I don't think so.

eileenf said:
Indusvision, while I agree that that argument could be made, the RQ is backward-looking. She is relevant and indicative of his residency for the period before they separated.

The divorce does not erase their past together and the RQ is an inquiry into the past.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
indusvision said:
If he starts adding information about his ex-spouse, what should be the answer of the question "If your spouse or common-law partner or children are living in Canada, are they attending school?"?
Should he put schooling details of his ex-spouse here? Honestly, I don't think so.
I agree... your initial suggestion is truly the only realistic option... A reasonable CO should not require a spouse to provide info or docs about ex-spouse... knowing how most divorces go... Make it clear in the letter you are not in touch with the ex-spouse

"Note that the question in RQ asks information about your spouse, not ex-spouse.

Since you are divorced now, she is not your spouse anymore. Therefore, in my understanding you do not have to enter any information about her now in the list of your family members, as she is not your family member and not your spouse anymore.

You can put a cover letter in which you can explain that you are divorced now and attached copy of the divorce certificate...

sam_1985

Star Member
Oct 29, 2014
nomadic said:
Hi all,
I submitted my application for citizenship on Aug 2014. Unfortunately, today, I've received a package of Residence Questionnaire from CIC and I need to submit it within 45 days since December 19.
I know that not everyone need to fill out this package so I'm a little bit worry here. :(
There are some question about Education and Employment of my ex-wife. We're separated from Nov 2012 and I received my divorce certificate last month. I'm just wondering if I should find out what she study/work during 4 year period (Aug 2010 to Aug 2012) to fill this form. We don't talk/see each other from Nov 2012.
Did you get sponsored by your ex-wife to come to Canada or you came on your own under another program and eventually got married in Canada? Just trying to understand your situation so you can tackle the concerns CIC may have; because if you were sponsored as a spouse and are now separated after roughly about two years (which is the current condition imposed for spousal sponsorship for people married less than 2 yrs) then that might have been the red flag that caused CIC to issue you the RQ.

Zumba369

Star Member
Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nomadic said:
Thank you eileenf.

On section 11:
During your relevant period, for Each Family member of your immediate family, provide legal citizenship/immigration status in the country they reside. Please include status in Canada.
My ex-spouse had Canada citizenship since May 2008. I don't know what to put at date status obtained outside Canada. Is it right if I fill like this:
Family name, given names:
Status in country where they reside: citizen
Date status obtained outside Canada: Not Applicable
Status in Canada: citizen
Date status obtained inside Canada: May 2008
My time line is really close to yours.

I will answer section 11 as in your example.

Good luck !!

desigirltoronto84

Sep 6, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nomadic said:
Hi all,
I submitted my application for citizenship on Aug 2014. Unfortunately, today, I've received a package of Residence Questionnaire from CIC and I need to submit it within 45 days since December 19.
I know that not everyone need to fill out this package so I'm a little bit worry here. :(
There are some question about Education and Employment of my ex-wife. We're separated from Nov 2012 and I received my divorce certificate last month. I'm just wondering if I should find out what she study/work during 4 year period (Aug 2010 to Aug 2012) to fill this form. We don't talk/see each other from Nov 2012.
If you and your ex are divorced don't worry about including her information anymore. Just attach your information, and for her just explain in your cover letter that you and your ex are not longer married - divorce cert. attached. She is no longer your dependent if you guys are not married.

nomadic

Apr 11, 2012
sam_1985 said:
Did you get sponsored by your ex-wife to come to Canada or you came on your own under another program and eventually got married in Canada? Just trying to understand your situation so you can tackle the concerns CIC may have; because if you were sponsored as a spouse and are now separated after roughly about two years (which is the current condition imposed for spousal sponsorship for people married less than 2 yrs) then that might have been the red flag that caused CIC to issue you the RQ.
I got sponsored by my ex-spouse. We married on Aug 2010, I got my PR on Apr 2012. Unfortunately, we decided to separate on November 2012 and get divorce cert. on July 2014. Do you think it is a red flag???

sam_1985

Star Member
Oct 29, 2014
nomadic said:
I got sponsored by my ex-spouse. We married on Aug 2010, I got my PR on Apr 2012. Unfortunately, we decided to separate on November 2012 and get divorce cert. on July 2014. Do you think it is a red flag???
The condition to be in a relationship for two years minimum after becoming PR was introduced in October 2012 so doesn't apply to you; and anyways you were together for a bit more than 2 years so you are fine... If you have been living here for 3 years in the last four then nobody can prevent you from becoming a citizen :) just be prepared for it to take longer... The fact that you came as a sponsored spouse and by the time you applied for citizenship you are divorced could make CIC think that it was a marriage of convenience ... Who knows how they reason when they decide to issue RQ to someone... Just present the facts truthfully as they ask in 2011...some questions on the RQ ask you to specify where your spouse has lived since your arrival in Canada so I don't think you don't need to answer that question because you are not with her NOW however you were THEN so you should answer in my opinion...you should answer all questions about her in the period covered under the RQ upto the point she was your spouse and you guys had not separated! just do your best to convince CIC that you have met the 1095 days requirement and just take things as they come!! All the best!

nomadic

Apr 11, 2012
sam_1985 said:
The condition to be in a relationship for two years minimum after becoming PR was introduced in October 2012 so doesn't apply to you; and anyways you were together for a bit more than 2 years so you are fine... If you have been living here for 3 years in the last four then nobody can prevent you from becoming a citizen :) just be prepared for it to take longer... The fact that you came as a sponsored spouse and by the time you applied for citizenship you are divorced could make CIC think that it was a marriage of convenience ... Who knows how they reason when they decide to issue RQ to someone... Just present the facts truthfully as they ask in 2011...some questions on the RQ ask you to specify where your spouse has lived since your arrival in Canada so I don't think you don't need to answer that question because you are not with her NOW however you were THEN so you should answer in my opinion...you should answer all questions about her in the period covered under the RQ upto the point she was your spouse and you guys had not separated! just do your best to convince CIC that you have met the 1095 days requirement and just take things as they come!! All the best!
I appreciate your help. I'm think I'm going to submit every documents that I have tomorrow.
For the health records, I went to my family doctor and asked her to write down every dates that I visited her and sign it. I think it good enough to show my social ties in question 24.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
Yes submit what you have now... But also request the provincial health authority and submit later

toshib

Star Member
Apr 17, 2014
nomadic said:
The office address on the envelop that they send to me is Sydney, NS. However, the office address in the letter inside is Harry Hays Building, Calgary AB, my local office.
Which one I have to send my documents back? They don't indicate anything about it.
I think they issued to me because I change my address few times in 4 years after I separated. Or I applied when I used CIC online calculating tool and had 1097 days in Canada, maybe it's so close to 1095 days? I really don't know. :( Do you guys have any idea?

This is my time line:
We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on August 25, 2014.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on November 3, 2014. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on December 19, 2014.

The letter that they sent to me is on December 19, 2014 too.
Have you been working as an employee(not self employed) or studying for most of the last four years?