+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent - Residence Questionnaire that ask information about ex-wife's school/job

nomadic

Apr 11, 2012
Hi all,
I submitted my application for citizenship on Aug 2014. Unfortunately, today, I've received a package of Residence Questionnaire from CIC and I need to submit it within 45 days since December 19.
I know that not everyone need to fill out this package so I'm a little bit worry here. :(
There are some question about Education and Employment of my ex-wife. We're separated from Nov 2012 and I received my divorce certificate last month. I'm just wondering if I should find out what she study/work during 4 year period (Aug 2010 to Aug 2012) to fill this form. We don't talk/see each other from Nov 2012.

Canad87

Star Member
Jul 1, 2014
nomadic said:
Hi all,
I submitted my application for citizenship on Aug 2014. Unfortunately, today, I've received a package of Residence Questionnaire from CIC and I need to submit it within 45 days since December 19.
I know that not everyone need to fill out this package so I'm a little bit worry here. :(
There are some question about Education and Employment of my ex-wife. We're separated from Nov 2012 and I received my divorce certificate last month. I'm just wondering if I should find out what she study/work during 4 year period (Aug 2010 to Aug 2012) to fill this form. We don't talk/see each other from Nov 2012.
Hi,

Can you please share what is your local office, and why you think they issued RQ to you ?

Thank you

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nomadic said:
Hi all,
If you don't have any access to her anymore or if think she will not cooperate with you then all you try to remember what she did at that period and put the information as much as you know. It could be she did some work, study or could be Home Maker..

As you applied in Aug and RQ issued in Dec, it appears it was issued from Sydney office but it will be processed by your local office. Some local office are fast some are slow.. I think GTA/Scarborough ha faster record in recent days..

mimi23

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nomadic said:
Hi all,
you can send divorce certifícate copy

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
nomadic said:
Hi all,
I am wondering why they have asked about education and employment of your ex-wife? did you apply citizenship together?

nomadic

Apr 11, 2012
Canad87 said:
Hi,

Can you please share what is your local office, and why you think they issued RQ to you ?

Thank you
The office address on the envelop that they send to me is Sydney, NS. However, the office address in the letter inside is Harry Hays Building, Calgary AB, my local office.
Which one I have to send my documents back? They don't indicate anything about it.
I think they issued to me because I change my address few times in 4 years after I separated. Or I applied when I used CIC online calculating tool and had 1097 days in Canada, maybe it's so close to 1095 days? I really don't know. :( Do you guys have any idea?

This is my time line:
We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on August 25, 2014.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on November 3, 2014. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on December 19, 2014.

The letter that they sent to me is on December 19, 2014 too.

nomadic

Apr 11, 2012
thecoolguysam said:
I am wondering why they have asked about education and employment of your ex-wife? did you apply citizenship together?
No, she got her citizen before we were married.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nomadic said:
Send as much information as possible up to Nov 2012. Attach a cover letter that you are legally separated from her since Nov 2012, so you don't know about her after that and you are not in touch with her. State that last month you have received divorce. Attach certified copy of divorce certificate.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
nomadic said:

Ok. Do you know whey they asked for your wife's education documents? As you have applied for citizenship for yourself, why the documents for your wife came into picture? Do you have any idea why?

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Ok. Do you know whey they asked for your wife's education documents? As you have applied for citizenship for yourself, why the documents for your wife came into picture? Do you have any idea why?
The RQ asks for information about an applicant's close family members to get a fuller idea of their life in Canada. It paints a more complete picture. Excerpts below from CIT 0171 (07-2014):

Question 10: Where have all your family members (e.g. spouse, partner, children, mother, father, brothers, sisters) lived during your relevant period?

Question 11: During your relevant period, for each family member of your immediate family (e.g. spouse, common-law partner and children) provide legal citizenship/immigration status in the country where they reside. Please include status in Canada...

Question 13: If your spouse or common law partner or children are living in Canada, are they attending school? Please give details.

Question 16: If you spouse or common law partner is living in Canada, are they working? Please give details...

However, applicants are judged on their own merits and won't be denied or granted citizenship because of the location or employment status of their family members. It just helps CIC understand the situation better and know what questions to ask.

I agree that the OP should answer to the best of their ability and write a cover letter where they explain the separation. You need to reflect you situation honestly and if your ex-wife is no longer part of your life, that is the situation. Your citizenship doesn't hinge on your wife's information.

You need to send the RQ response to the local office. And you need to make sure that you get something in by the 45 day deadline. Include in the cover letter a list of additional documents that will follow at a later date (typically provincial health records take a month or longer to get and records of movement from one's home country take longer).

Good luck. Be honest. Be concise. Do your due diligence.

nomadic

Apr 11, 2012
eileenf said:
The RQ asks for information about an applicant's close family members to get a fuller idea of their life in Canada. It paints a more complete picture. Excerpts below from CIT 0171 (07-2014):

Question 10: Where have all your family members (e.g. spouse, partner, children, mother, father, brothers, sisters) lived during your relevant period?

Question 11: During your relevant period, for each family member of your immediate family (e.g. spouse, common-law partner and children) provide legal citizenship/immigration status in the country where they reside. Please include status in Canada...

Question 13: If your spouse or common law partner or children are living in Canada, are they attending school? Please give details.

Question 16: If you spouse or common law partner is living in Canada, are they working? Please give details...

However, applicants are judged on their own merits and won't be denied or granted citizenship because of the location or employment status of their family members. It just helps CIC understand the situation better and know what questions to ask.

I agree that the OP should answer to the best of their ability and write a cover letter where they explain the separation. You need to reflect you situation honestly and if your ex-wife is no longer part of your life, that is the situation. Your citizenship doesn't hinge on your wife's information.

You need to send the RQ response to the local office. And you need to make sure that you get something in by the 45 day deadline. Include in the cover letter a list of additional documents that will follow at a later date (typically provincial health records take a month or longer to get and records of movement from one's home country take longer).

Good luck. Be honest. Be concise. Do your due diligence.
Thank you all. Do you know how to get the provincial health records though? I don't have a family doctor and I've just walked in 2-3 times in 4 years :( I didn't know this is that important.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Check the link in my signature. I figured this stuff out the hard way when I got an RQ in Nov. 2012.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eileenf said:
Check the link in my signature. I figured this stuff out the hard way when I got an RQ in Nov. 2013.
Hi Eileen, did you create this website? Very helpful

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanV said:
Hi Eileen, did you create this website? Very helpful
Yes, thanks. I don't have the time to update it as much as I'd like to, but most of the info is still applicable. I still think it's a shame that CIC has never come out with an official RQ guide, but my hope is that the website fills some of that role. The idea was to record all the hardwon wisdom RQ recipients gain and record it for the next person, to make it a bit easier and also less lonely.

nomadic

Apr 11, 2012
eileenf said:
Check the link in my signature. I figured this stuff out the hard way when I got an RQ in Nov. 2012.
Thank you eileenf.

On section 11:
During your relevant period, for Each Family member of your immediate family, provide legal citizenship/immigration status in the country they reside. Please include status in Canada.
My ex-spouse had Canada citizenship since May 2008. I don't know what to put at date status obtained outside Canada. Is it right if I fill like this:
Family name, given names:
Status in country where they reside: citizen
Date status obtained outside Canada: Not Applicable
Status in Canada: citizen
Date status obtained inside Canada: May 2008