+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT : Renewal of passport before coming to Canada?

ronitsharma

Star Member
Sep 4, 2017
Hi Guys,

I got my visa approved.
My course ends in Dec, 2020 but my passport expires on Jan, 2020. That's why I have been issued a VISA until Jan, 2020.

I know the basic step : Travel to Canada, renew passport next year, and then apply for study permit extension on the new passport (Before the older study permit expires)

But, I have a question. What if I renew/reissue my passport before I travel to Canada. It's not possible because in India it can't be more than 1 year of expiry. But what if I somehow manage to renew it now (Through some passport agent). Then I will have a new passport and my old passport (Old passport will have the valid VISA). I know that we get the study permit once we reach Canada, so in this case, will the officer give me the study permit which will be valid for the entire course duration, as I will have a new passport also, or will he just see the duration mentioned on the stamped VISA and give me the study permit until Jan, 2020 only?

Please help, very URGENT!

Thanks in advance! :)

Dr.Viper

May 22, 2018
I will face a similar issue this month or next when I go through the process. Don't risk anything by going for renewal. If your visa is already issued, then won't it be in the old passport? When you renew your passport, the old passport will be cancelled and given back to you, and the visa is valid. But we are not clear about what will transpire at the port of entry. So don't risk it.

Renewal and extension of study permit is very easy from Canada.

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
Hi Guys,

I got my visa approved.
My course ends in Dec, 2020 but my passport expires on Jan, 2020. That's why I have been issued a VISA until Jan, 2020.

I know the basic step : Travel to Canada, renew passport next year, and then apply for study permit extension on the new passport (Before the older study permit expires)

But, I have a question. What if I renew/reissue my passport before I travel to Canada. It's not possible because in India it can't be more than 1 year of expiry. But what if I somehow manage to renew it now (Through some passport agent). Then I will have a new passport and my old passport (Old passport will have the valid VISA). I know that we get the study permit once we reach Canada, so in this case, will the officer give me the study permit which will be valid for the entire course duration, as I will have a new passport also, or will he just see the duration mentioned on the stamped VISA and give me the study permit until Jan, 2020 only?

Please help, very URGENT!

Thanks in advance! :)

..avoid all complications and contradictions, renew your passport in Canada

ronitsharma

Star Member
Sep 4, 2017
I will face a similar issue this month or next when I go through the process. Don't risk anything by going for renewal. If your visa is already issued, then won't it be in the old passport? When you renew your passport, the old passport will be cancelled and given back to you, and the visa is valid. But we are not clear about what will transpire at the port of entry. So don't risk it.

Renewal and extension of study permit is very easy from Canada.
@Dr.Viper Thanks for the reply. And you are absolutely right. It would be much better to first land in Canada and then renew the passport & study permit.
As @Johnsnow 007 has mentioned, i should not complicate things at the POE.

Thanks guys. I am leaving in August, wish me luck :)