+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: Renew Passport for privately sponsored applicant overseas

Banet

Feb 22, 2018
Hi all,

I need urgent advice please.
I am Syrian living in Dubai. I have a private sponsorship application for a refugee overseas in process now to come to Canada. I did the the interview recently and they're asking me now to provide a police certificate.
My residency permit in Dubai has expired and I need to renew it before I can apply for police certificate. The problem is that my passport expires in less than 6 months. I have to renew the passport before I can renew my visa.
Does anyone know If renew my passport from the Syrian consulate in Dubai now, is that going to be considered as re-seeking protection from my home country? I mean is it something that might hurt my case now?
Given that I haven't received the final decision yet and I would the passport locally from the consulate.
I appreciate your help on this if you know similar stories.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

I need urgent advice please.
I am Syrian living in Dubai. I have a private sponsorship application for a refugee overseas in process now to come to Canada. I did the the interview recently and they're asking me now to provide a police certificate.
My residency permit in Dubai has expired and I need to renew it before I can apply for police certificate. The problem is that my passport expires in less than 6 months. I have to renew the passport before I can renew my visa.
Does anyone know If renew my passport from the Syrian consulate in Dubai now, is that going to be considered as re-seeking protection from my home country? I mean is it something that might hurt my case now?
Given that I haven't received the final decision yet and I would the passport locally from the consulate.
I appreciate your help on this if you know similar stories.
No you haven't become an accepted refugee in Canada yet so you can renew your passport. You are actually renewing your passport in order to finish you application to come to Canada as a refugee. Once you are in Canada that is a different story. You shouldn't renew your passport or go to your home country. You can go as a citizen but it is frowned upon, in my opinion, if you leave right after you get citizenship.

Reactions: Banet

Banet

Feb 22, 2018
No you haven't become an accepted refugee in Canada yet so you can renew your passport. You are actually renewing your passport in order to finish you application to come to Canada as a refugee. Once you are in Canada that is a different story. You shouldn't renew your passport or go to your home country. You can go as a citizen but it is frowned upon, in my opinion, if you leave right after you get citizenship.
Thank you very much for the confirmation.