+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT: Regarding Changing DLI

Dhani

Mar 1, 2020
Hi - I am from India and I have logded my study visa application with a graduate certificate program from conestoga college. I have received admit in Masters from a University and I would like to update my DLI. I have following two queries:

1 - I know that I can update my DLI by submitting new Letter of Acceptance through webform. I want to know if someone else has done the same and how much time it takes to give PPR in this case.

2- This second option is suggested to me by consultant, they told me that I can change the DLI once i reach canada. Anyone has any idea how this is done or is it a good option to go for?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi - I am from India and I have logded my study visa application with a graduate certificate program from conestoga college. I have received admit in Masters from a University and I would like to update my DLI. I have following two queries:

1 - I know that I can update my DLI by submitting new Letter of Acceptance through webform. I want to know if someone else has done the same and how much time it takes to give PPR in this case.

2- This second option is suggested to me by consultant, they told me that I can change the DLI once i reach canada. Anyone has any idea how this is done or is it a good option to go for?

Thanks
1. You need to do this. I don't know how long it takes so I would submit the new LOA asap.

2. This is not possible. You will need to apply for a new study permit if you want to switch schools before you have completed any studies in Canada. The rules around this changed a year or two ago. Consultant is wrong and does not understand the latest rules.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Thanks
The consultants who told you this information on 2 have no idea of the current process. It's outdated information and you cannot change your DLI once you landed. You have to either apply for a new study permit or you stay at the original DLI and studies for at least one semester before you can switch. That rule has changed.

Do option 1.

Dhani

Mar 1, 2020
The consultants who told you this information on 2 have no idea of the current process. It's outdated information and you cannot change your DLI once you landed. You have to either apply for a new study permit or you stay at the original DLI and studies for at least one semester before you can switch. That rule has changed.

Do option 1.
Thanks for the info. Can you please let me know that what things i should include in a letter of explanation while uploading new LOA through webform. Any template that i can use.

AsmaaKF

Aug 1, 2022

Thanks
1. I did that two days ago in the evening, I sent a webform to change the program and the university, then in the morning, I recieved the study permit approval. Until now I did not receive a confirmation email regarding the webform, and I don't know if the approval is for the first or the new program.

Dhani

Mar 1, 2020
1. I did that two days ago in the evening, I sent a webform to change the program and the university, then in the morning, I recieved the study permit approval. Until now I did not receive a confirmation email regarding the webform, and I don't know if the approval is for the first or the new program.
Did you submitted any letter of explanation for DLI change? Please help me here.. My so called counsellor has completely given up on me..

Reactions: AsmaaKF

AsmaaKF

Aug 1, 2022
Did you submitted any letter of explanation for DLI change? Please help me here.. My so called counsellor has completely given up on me..
yes, I submitted the new letter of acceptance.

I asked the same question here a couple of days ago, and someone advised me to send a webform and I did that.

_ regarding your second question, honestly, I thought to wait until reach Canada and then change the program, but I chose to be honest and send them a webform as some people said that you may have to submit a new study permit if you are still outside Canada and want to change the program.

Dhani

Mar 1, 2020
yes, I submitted the new letter of acceptance.

I asked the same question here a couple of days ago, and someone advised me to send a webform and I did that.

_ regarding your second question, honestly, I thought to wait until reach Canada and then change the program, but I chose to be honest and send them a webform as some people said that you may have to submit a new study permit if you are still outside Canada and want to change the program.
Yeah I now know for sure that i need to provide IRCC an update through webform. I have seen that people have uploaded letter of explanation along with new LOA. Did you also submit any such explanation letter?

AsmaaKF

Aug 1, 2022
I think your condition is positive if you send a webform because you are changing to a master's program. I received the approval after sending them a webform to change from master's program to Ph.D in another university.

Reactions: Dhani

Dhani

Mar 1, 2020
I think your condition is positive if you send a webform because you are changing to a master's program. I received the approval after sending them a webform to change from master's program to Ph.D in another university.
Did you only submitted LOA or also submitted any letter of explanation along with that?

AsmaaKF

Aug 1, 2022
sorry, I submitted only the new acceptance letter without a new explanation letter. I advise you to send a new explanation letter along with the acceptance letter if possible. I forgot to do that, and I wanted to send a new webform with a letter of explanation but I received the approval before doing that.

Last edited:

Dhani

Mar 1, 2020
sorry, I submitted only the new acceptance letter without a new explanation letter. I advise you to send a new explanation letter along with the acceptance letter if possible. I forgot to do that, and I wanted to send a new webform with LOA but I received the approval before doing that.
Okay.. In the letter of explanation do i need to explain about my academics again like I had done in my previously submitted SOP ? or I just need to provide the reason for changing DLI

AsmaaKF

Aug 1, 2022
Okay.. In the letter of explanation do i need to explain about my academics again like I had done in my previously submitted SOP ? or I just need to provide the reason for changing DLI
honestly, I don't know what is the best to do, but I explained my reasons for changing the program in the webform itself. I think you have to explain your reasons as they already received your LOA with the application.

Dhani

Mar 1, 2020
honestly, I don't know what is the best to do, but I explained my reasons for changing the program in the webform itself. I think you have to explain your reasons as they already received your LOA with the application.
Thanks man for the info. I think the need for letter of explanation may vary depending on the application. Some have got changed DLI without submitting any explanation letter. I also had sent a webform to IRCC regarding how to change DLI and they only asked me to send the new LOA through webform (they did not mentioned anything else).

Reactions: AsmaaKF

AsmaaKF

Aug 1, 2022
Thanks man for the info. I think the need for letter of explanation may vary depending on the application. Some have got changed DLI without submitting any explanation letter. I also had sent a webform to IRCC regarding how to change DLI and they only asked me to send the new LOA through webform (they did not mentioned anything else).
yeah, I think this is enough, but do it as asap, best luck.