+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: Received Invitation/Can I quit my job before submitting the application

Zhao

Dec 5, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I just got my invitation today. However, I am going to quit my job before I submit my application on-line.

That's because I already wrote a resignation letter and my employer expected me to leave soon, I am not sure what I should do.

I got enough work experience so quitting this job won't affect my points.

Which option should I take:

1. Quit the job before submitting the application. Having no intended job offer and wait for approval
2. Go back to the employer and try to secure the job back, and submit my application

My employer will anyways give the reference letter. However, I am not sure if I quit my job before submitting will affect the decision they are going to make or not.

Any advise?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If this job doesn't have any impact on your program eligibility and/or CRS points, leaving that job will make no material difference to your profile hence no difference to the processing of your PR application.

CIC doesn't even care if you were unemployed for 9 out of the last 10 years as long as you satisfy the basic eligibility criteria of having worked for 1 year in the last 10 (for FSW). Your current employment status has no bearing on your application. There is no downside to quitting that job as far as CIC is concerned except make sure you have enough savings to count towards POF through the process.

All the best!

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if it doesn't impact your points then you can, I just don't see why you would. read on here, plenty people getting declined and even if your applications perfect it can take up to 6 months after you submit to get your PR. Canada's expensive, better to keep earning before you come if you can.

Zhao

Dec 5, 2014
My concern is just that the CIC sees me that I quit the job before I submit my application. This shows no intend for me to stay in Canada and pay tax for PR if I apply.

This is my only concern.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zhao said:
My concern is just that the CIC sees me that I quit the job before I submit my application. This shows no intend for me to stay in Canada and pay tax for PR if I apply.

This is my only concern.
CIC's PR decision is based on your past record and not on your present or future plans.

Zhao

Dec 5, 2014
Asivad Anac said:
CIC's PR decision is based on your past record and not on your present or future plans.
By the way, if I leave Canada after I submit the application, will this affect my PR process?

Cuz I have my work permit valid until next Feb, in the mean time I have some important stuff to take care of back in my own country.

For the PR card or whatever I can just ask friends to mail it to me or I can pick it up from a Canadian friend if I provide my friend's mailing address to CIC. Is this way okay? This is the plan I am thinking about. Please advise.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zhao said:
By the way, if I leave Canada after I submit the application, will this affect my PR process?

No. You'll have to update CIC about change of address though.

Cuz I have my work permit valid until next Feb, in the mean time I have some important stuff to take care of back in my own country.

For the PR card or whatever I can just ask friends to mail it to me or I can pick it up from a Canadian friend if I provide my friend's mailing address to CIC. Is this way okay? This is the plan I am thinking about. Please advise.

Later day worries, cross that bridge when you get there. PR card is very late in the process - could be easily 6-8 months or more given that you just got your ITA.

Wanny

Mar 27, 2017
Hi. I have a similar query. I received an ITA and want to quit job now as it is getting dissatisfactory. I will have enough work ex and PoF. Please suggest.

sharath9292

Jun 23, 2018
Hi, I have similar question. I will complete 1 year of continues work experience in this august. my employer will give the reference letter.
i have POF and eligible points.
Now I would like to quit current job and move to another city, after my application start processing.
am not worried about process delay, but does its gonna affect my process or reject my application.

thanks for the reply

Brijesh_desai

Apr 9, 2020
I need urgent support on this

i have work experience of 1 year and 6 months and by one year experience i got my invitation by 468 points as continuous work experience.

for some reasons i have to quit my current job so does it affects my invitation and do i need to inform cic about my unemployement?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I need urgent support on this

i have work experience of 1 year and 6 months and by one year experience i got my invitation by 468 points as continuous work experience.

for some reasons i have to quit my current job so does it affects my invitation and do i need to inform cic about my unemployement?
Would depend on whether you claimed points based on working at your job.