Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
LANDED..........
28-09-2017
Hi All,

Question to all senior and most helpful members like @qorax .

I and my Spouse have received CoPR and TRV stamped on my Passport this Feb. However since our passports were expiring in exactly 6 months, I went ahead and renewed it.

Now, I've contacted New Delhi VO about getting a new TRV on my new passport + a new CoPR, but they are very slow in responding. I intend to travel to Canada in the Month of July, 17.

1. Please let me know the procedure to request reissue/reprint a new TRV and new Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) on the new passports.

2. If step 1 above is not needed at all, can I safely land at the Canadian POE with both my passports + CoPR bearing the Old passport numbers and complete the landing formalities?

Thanks in Advance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't need renew your passports. Besides, are you sure you have both TRV and Copr stamped in your passports?

Reactions: wildspirit

wildspirit

Jul 17, 2015
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
LANDED..........
28-09-2017
Sorry if my words wasn't clear earlier.

I've already renewed my and my spouse's passports.

The TRV is affixed on the old passports. The CoPR is a separate single page document which has details of the old passports.

Can i safely land at the POE using the following documents:
1. Old, expired passport with Valid TRV
2. CoPR which mentions old passport details
3. Valid, new passport..

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry if my words wasn't clear earlier.

I've already renewed my and my spouse's passports.

The TRV is affixed on the old passports. The CoPR is a separate single page document which has details of the old passports.

Can i safely land at the POE using the following documents:
1. Old, expired passport with Valid TRV
2. CoPR which mentions old passport details
3. Valid, new passport..
No problem as said in a reply from qorax some seven years ago.

melmathews

Star Member
Mar 6, 2016
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Med's Done....
23-04-2017
Passport Req..
21-07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
27-07-2018
Thank you Steaky:)
I will go ahead.
Hi Wildspirit, am in a similar situation.. Received my COPR mail today. My current passport expires in end- April 2018 (around the same time as my Medicals validity). Am planning to do a soft landing in Mid-April)

Need to understand which is a better o way to proceed..
1. Get the stamp on old passport, and subsequently get it re-stamped on the new passport, closer to landing

2. Send a request to VO to update passport details with request

wildspirit

Jul 17, 2015
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
LANDED..........
28-09-2017
Hi Wildspirit, am in a similar situation.. Received my COPR mail today. My current passport expires in end- April 2018 (around the same time as my Medicals validity). Am planning to do a soft landing in Mid-April)

Need to understand which is a better o way to proceed..
1. Get the stamp on old passport, and subsequently get it re-stamped on the new passport, closer to landing

2. Send a request to VO to update passport details with request

Go for option 1. Thats what I did and will be landing in next 3 weeks.

Reactions: melmathews

GJinSg

Mar 1, 2018
Hi Wildspirit, I have a similar situation. Could you share your experience? Were you able to enter without updating the new passport number in your COPR and transferring your single entry visa to the new passport?

kuskus

Champion Member
Jun 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Wildspirit, I have a similar situation. Could you share your experience? Were you able to enter without updating the new passport number in your COPR and transferring your single entry visa to the new passport?
From the “Port of entry examinations” manual-

“13.18 Valid visas in expired passports
Visa officers will not put a visa in an expired document and will not issue a visa for a period
surpassing the expiry date of the passport or travel document. Occasionally, documents
containing valid visas are cancelled or replaced. If a valid visa inside an expired document is
presented at the POE along with a valid passport or travel document, the visa is considered
valid.”

Just be sure to have both the old and new passports.

divyanaveenan

Apr 9, 2018
Hi All,

So to be clear. When you are landing in canada for the first time :

If you have a COPR with an older passport, and you now have a new passport.

You just have to make sure you have:
1. Both passports old and new
2. COPR (issued with old passport)

Plus ofcourse you other landing papers and bank statements etc.

@wildspirit : I hope you are all settled in canada now. Can you please share your experience on how you handled it ?

Thanks and regards,
Divya Naveenan

Reactions: wildspirit

wildspirit

Jul 17, 2015
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
LANDED..........
28-09-2017
Hi All,

So to be clear. When you are landing in canada for the first time :

If you have a COPR with an older passport, and you now have a new passport.

You just have to make sure you have:
1. Both passports old and new
2. COPR (issued with old passport)

Plus ofcourse you other landing papers and bank statements etc.

@wildspirit : I hope you are all settled in canada now. Can you please share your experience on how you handled it ?

Thanks and regards,
Divya Naveenan
Hi Divya,

Yes, I've settled now in Canada :) Beautiful country and I'm in love with it and its people.

What you suggested in your post, works out: both passports + COPR issued with old passports.

However, in my case, I was contacted by NDVO after a few days I asked them my question. They asked me to send over the old+new passports and the COPR. Old TRV and COPR was cancelled and new TRV was stamped on new passport. A fresh COPR with the same expiry date as the old one was issued. Cost was 100 CAD for 2 passports and the usual VFS charges.

It all went well.

Thank you.
Wildspirit.

shelpereira

Apr 19, 2018
Hi Divya,

Yes, I've settled now in Canada :) Beautiful country and I'm in love with it and its people.

What you suggested in your post, works out: both passports + COPR issued with old passports.

However, in my case, I was contacted by NDVO after a few days I asked them my question. They asked me to send over the old+new passports and the COPR. Old TRV and COPR was cancelled and new TRV was stamped on new passport. A fresh COPR with the same expiry date as the old one was issued. Cost was 100 CAD for 2 passports and the usual VFS charges.

It all went well.

Thank you.
Wildspirit.
Hi Wildspirit,

I received my ppr request (ready for visa) email on the 8th of August 2018. In one of their conditions it says ‘ensure your passport is valid for atleast 12 months from the date of this letter’. My passport is valid till July 2019 (~11 months) and I did my medical on the 11th of April 2018. Is it okay if I just send my passport with this validity or should I renew it and send it for stamping of COPR?

farzinaam

Star Member
Oct 15, 2015
Hi Divya,

It all went well.

Thank you.
Wildspirit.
Hi Wildspirit,
I am in similar situation.. the passports have got damaged and now new ones need to be applied.. can you please forward me the communication you had with NDVO.. i also need to get new passports issued and then get the PR VIsa and CoPR transferred.. Please help urgently.. my travel dates are of next month.. how much time did it take for you? Please share the mail from NDVO at rajat.niki@gmail.com