+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT question (STUDY PERMIT RELATED ) - PAL

RajSingh12

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
Hello,

I have an urgent issue regarding my brother's study visa.
He applied last year and got his visa in November/Decmeber last year and his intake is May 2024.
He got an email from college (Seneca) mentioning that they don't have enough PAL's for May batch and asked him to defer to september.
I will add that email here.
He is still in India and has his ticket booked for Apr 30th.

Based on the information on canada's website : it clearly states this shouldbn't apply to him:

International students whose applications were received by IRCC before 8:30 a.m. on January 22, 2024, as well as those who have already been approved for a study permit and intend to travel to Canada for an upcoming program, do not need to take further action as a result of the cap.

not sure why college sent him this email.

Regards,
raj

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I have an urgent issue regarding my brother's study visa.
He applied last year and got his visa in November/Decmeber last year and his intake is May 2024.
He got an email from college (Seneca) mentioning that they don't have enough PAL's for May batch and asked him to defer to september.
I will add that email here.
He is still in India and has his ticket booked for Apr 30th.

Based on the information on canada's website : it clearly states this shouldbn't apply to him:

International students whose applications were received by IRCC before 8:30 a.m. on January 22, 2024, as well as those who have already been approved for a study permit and intend to travel to Canada for an upcoming program, do not need to take further action as a result of the cap.

not sure why college sent him this email.

Regards,
raj
He needs to contact the school. Has be done that yet?

Reactions: Naturgrl

RajSingh12

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
He needs to contact the school. Has be done that yet?

yes. we have sent an email and will be following up with all the information that is available on the official website in case they want more proofs but should be good based on what we found so far.

seems like an error or something wasn't updated with my brother's application on college's end.

thanks for your response.

will keep you guys posted

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
yes. we have sent an email and will be following up with all the information that is available on the official website in case they want more proofs but should be good based on what we found so far.

seems like an error or something wasn't updated with my brother's application on college's end.

You are correct and no deferral is needed. Push back on the school.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Does your brother still have a guaranteed spot in the May program?

RajSingh12

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
Does your brother still have a guaranteed spot in the May program?
What I can say is that he got his schedule to start in May.
Again, based on the official information this shouldn't apply to him.
everything was confirmed and going as per plan only till he got this email.

He applied last year and got his visa last year as well.

one thing, even this email lacks some information; since my brother's application is all complete, this should be for students who applied after jan 22 and this email mentions the same : applying for study permit once you get PAL which he doesn't need.

See below email from the college ;
Dear Applicant,
Everyone at Seneca Polytechnic is looking forward to welcoming you and helping you begin your studies successfully.
We appreciate your patience while we have been working with the federal and provincial governments to understand how the changes announced in January by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will affect your start at Seneca.
Update on Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL)
New international students now require provincial attestation letters (PALs) to study in Ontario. There is a limited number of PALs available for Seneca to offer prospective students each term.
Seneca cannot offer you a PAL for the May 2024 Term, however we are pleased to offer you a deferral to start in the September 2024 Term.
Next steps
  • If you wish to defer and start your program in September 2024, we encourage you to please email theservicehub@senecapolytechnic.ca with the subject line ‘2247 Defer’. If you email by Wednesday, May 1, 2024, we can expedite the process for you.
  • Once your deferral is confirmed, Seneca will apply for your PAL for the September 2024 Term. The Ontario government is responsible for approving your PAL. When we receive your approved PAL from the government, we will send it to you by email along with your reissued Letter of Acceptance (LOA).
  • You must include both the LOA and PAL with your study permit application to IRCC. You can also learn more about how to apply for a study permit.

Please note: Deferral requests can still be submitted up until Friday, May 17, 2024 by completing the Request for Deferral form, however deferrals will be subject to program availability. You can learn more about your options on Seneca’s website.
Questions, supports and Ask Us Webinars
Seneca is here to help you understand these changes. Frequently Asked Questions are available. We encourage you to check them regularly as more information will be added as it becomes available.
You can also register for our Ask Us Webinars or connect with The Service Hub for any questions.
The Seneca Team​

Reactions: mandiebraxton

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What I can say is that he got his schedule to start in May.
Again, based on the official information this shouldn't apply to him.
everything was confirmed and going as per plan only till he got this email.

He applied last year and got his visa last year as well.

See below email from the college ;
Seems like this is a general email sent to all students even if it doesn’t apply to all. If he has paid his fees, registered and has his timetable then should not be an issue. Confirm with school.