+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Question: Photo Specifications for Online Citizenship Application

tammy_z

Star Member
Sep 4, 2020
The citizenship photo specifications on the online application says that the "maximum image size should be 420x540 pixels". These dimensions are too small when converted to cm. Is this ok? I know that in other applications the specifications are typically minimum 420x540 pixels and not maximum.

icykool23

Star Member
Dec 11, 2016
There is no mention of cm in photo specification?

I only found the following size for citizenship applications. Note the photo specifications are different than for visa applications:

Last edited:

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
The citizenship photo specifications on the online application says that the "maximum image size should be 420x540 pixels". These dimensions are too small when converted to cm. Is this ok? I know that in other applications the specifications are typically minimum 420x540 pixels and not maximum.
pixels are used for digital images and physical ones, so I wouldn't compare them to cms. Many people applied online and they were able to provide a picture according to the spec. Just ask a professional photographer for a digital copy. Try Shoppers Drug Mart.

otalat

Jun 6, 2021
I had the same question. The 420x540 maximum image size is a mistake from their end in my opinion, as it previously used to say a minimum. I think if you can get a digital photo at 420x540 then you should be ok.

The other clarification I needed is that 420x540 pixel dimensions translate to 35x45mm. So in essence the digital photo will be more zoomed in when compared to the printed 50x70mm that is used in paper applications.

The link they provided in the online application appears to confirm that it is based on 35x45mm - see link below.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/documents/pdf/english/kits/forms/3139-photospecs-e.pdf

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
I had the same question. The 420x540 maximum image size is a mistake from their end in my opinion, as it previously used to say a minimum. I think if you can get a digital photo at 420x540 then you should be ok.

The other clarification I needed is that 420x540 pixel dimensions translate to 35x45mm. So in essence the digital photo will be more zoomed in when compared to the printed 50x70mm that is used in paper applications.

The link they provided in the online application appears to confirm that it is based on 35x45mm - see link below.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/documents/pdf/english/kits/forms/3139-photospecs-e.pdf

It looks like it used to be a minimum image size of 420 * 540 based on previous online application. However, the current application calls it out as maximum.

It could be related to storage concerns on their back end. Just speculating...

dora115

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
It's updated again now it's minimum 420 x 540 pixels

You must upload a digital file of the citizenship photo.

• A commercial photographer must take your photo.
  • You may upload a picture of a printed photo that the photographer took (for example, with a scanner or mobile phone).
The photo must have a

• maximum file size of 4 MB
  • minimum image size of 420 x 540 pixels
  • file format of JPEG, JPG or JPEG 2000

pedromw

Dec 20, 2021
It's updated again now it's minimum 420 x 540 pixels

You must upload a digital file of the citizenship photo.

• A commercial photographer must take your photo.
  • You may upload a picture of a printed photo that the photographer took (for example, with a scanner or mobile phone).
The photo must have a

• maximum file size of 4 MB
  • minimum image size of 420 x 540 pixels
  • file format of JPEG, JPG or JPEG 2000
Hi
I applied in November 2021 and I had a long discussion with my photographe as the french version of the citizenship page always mentioned the fact that the picture should at least be 420 x 540 pixels but the english version said absolutely the opposite. Now it's clear that my decision to follow the english version was wrong. Does it mean that the application gonna be returned ? Many candidates just followed what they were asked to do in the english version of the citizenship website.

dora115

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
Hi
I applied in November 2021 and I had a long discussion with my photographe as the french version of the citizenship page always mentioned the fact that the picture should at least be 420 x 540 pixels but the english version said absolutely the opposite. Now it's clear that my decision to follow the english version was wrong. Does it mean that the application gonna be returned ? Many candidates just followed what they were asked to do in the english version of the citizenship website.
I don't think the application will get returned after getting AOR, I applied in August with resolution lower than 420x540 and I got AOR,