+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT QUESTION - Full Time Student Status Query

alienfingers

Jul 5, 2014
Hello all,

Really need some urgent advise.

I've been accepted at Concordia University in Montreal on a certificate program to start this fall. I've had my CAQ acceptance and last week received my Study Permit letter or acceptance. I've gone to register for my courses only to find that this fall/winter term they are only offering 7 of the 20 courses listed in the course programme. They are being little help and are showing no understanding of my situation.

I've tried to research how many credits I need to take per semester to satisfy the study permit rules but keep seeing different answers on various sites and can't find anything on the CIC website for this.

All of my plans are now up in the air and I;m really worried....so I thought I would turn to you good people on here for some help and advice!

Thanks

PAul

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
how many credits per course? which program u applied to..were u expecting to take all 20 courses at once? u should contact ISO(international students office ) and ask them about this

alienfingers

Jul 5, 2014
Applied to Adult Education CErtificate which is 30 credits overall. Each of the courses is 3 credits. They've emailed back to simply advise that the program cannot be taken over one academic year. Nowhere does it mention this, first I've heard of it!
Some information I've found suggest full time status is minimum of 9 credits per semester (which I could just about do) or 15hrs classroom per week (which I'm falling short of looking at the lecture times).

alienfingers

Jul 5, 2014
I was looking at doing 15credits (5 courses) in the Fall semester and the same again in the Winter semester. I've contacted the Adult Education department and they don't seem much help.....I've also contacted the International Students Office and waiting for a response.

On a related note, if it comes to this, my CAQ indicates I can change program of study and institution without applying for a new CAQ and the info on the CIC website seems to indicate I can do the same with my Study Permit. Anyone have any experience/information on this?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
so u can take 5 out of 7 courses offered right? all courses r not offered in every sem.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
mead said:
so u can take 5 out of 7 courses offered right? all courses r not offered in every sem.
http://doe.concordia.ca/programs/adult-education/adult-education-certificate/
ask u adviser how many courses u can register

alienfingers

Jul 5, 2014
The department advisor hasn't been much good, I'll see what the ISO come back with (likely tomorrow now at this time).

I have just found something else on the tuition calculator for concordia which indicates that international students need to be enrolled in 12 credits in the fall term to maintain full time status. There are 4 courses offered in the fall term but 1 has a pre-requisite that means I can't register for it so I can take 3 courses (9 credits) and then there is a cognate course that spans fall/winter worth 6 credits that they've said I can take so that would fulfil the 12 credit criteria for the fall term. I suppose then I'd just have to find enough courses for winter to stay as full time and then look to apply to extend my study permit/CAQ to continue studying in the next summer/fall/winter semesters.....not ideal but it may be my only option...I'll see what the ISO comes back with.

And everything was going so well, CAQ approved in under 2wks (instead of 20wking days it stated) and Study Permit in 2wks (instead of 7wks it stated). Just really panicking as I've handed my notice in at work and made arrangements to go over mid-August. And this is all 'complicated' somewhat by the fact that part of the reason to go and study over there is to be with my Canadian girlfriend!

Thanks so much for your advice on this...I'll keep you updated!