jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
I skimmed the entire thread and not found the reason of your citizenship revocation.

How can any of them above give you precise help if the reason of your problem isn’t clear. Whether you are facing charges due to fraud or terrorism or war crimes.
I’m a bit intrigued with your conundrum so please humor me/or maybe us.

asdf111

Star Member
Oct 8, 2010
@asdf111 - Is this specially a potential revocation for "fraud or misrepresentation"? If so, for which part of the process of obtaining citizenship. (The PR application or the grant of citizenship application?)
ok if you want the truth , i did not declare some criminal charges..it is not due to residency shortage..

when i applied for citizenship i passed criminality in the beigining and only after wards i was charged but i did not report it

my PR is also genuine , no fraud or misrepresentation....absolutely nothing..

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/acquisition-loss/revocation.html

" If the person’s citizenship was revoked on the grounds they became a permanent resident by false representation or fraud or knowingly concealed material circumstances, the person will revert to foreign national status. If the false representation or fraud or concealing of material circumstances was with respect to a fact described in sections 34, 35 or 37 of the IRPA, the Federal Court, in certain cases, may also declare the person inadmissible and issue a removal order."

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
did not declare some criminal charges
This is probably the first or second most common potential revocation scenario. Residency or presence fraud (failing to disclose some time actually outside Canada, or related facts) is the other.

In the past week or so, for example, I have received multiple queries about what-happens-now, scenarios in which applicants were charged with an offence while their application was in process, they attended the interview and did not disclose the charge, and subsequently received a Finger Print request signaling, rather obviously, that IRCC has nonetheless learned of it. Their worry, of course, is facing an allegation of misrepresentation. At least two of the three queries I have addressed recently should be OK, if their version of things is close to reality (charges withdrawn in short order).

It is common. But it is also stupid. Really. The misrepresentation voids the grant of citizenship and, in itself, can potentially be prosecuted as a criminal offence. Since criminal charges result in an official record, proof of the fact is a no-brainer. Since IRCC has, for more than two years now, been required to do a GCMS check before taking any action on a citizenship file, and the GCMS check ordinarily will flag any criminal charges made (in at least the U.S. or Canada), the window for an applicant to slip through and take the oath is dramatically smaller than it was in the past . . . and even if the applicant slips through and obtains a grant of citizenship, if anything (or anyone) later triggers an inquiry it is a no-brainer case, as already noted.

The fact this can also result in a separate criminal prosecution elevates the risks involved. If the undisclosed offence itself might not trigger inadmissibility proceedings, being convicted of another crime for which a significant jail term can be imposed dramatically elevates the risk of inadmissibility proceedings against the individual once citizenship is lost and he or she has PR status again. Meaning the fact that the direct effect of the misrepresentation, revocation of citizenship and a prohibition for ten years (or, if discovered and processed prior to the grant of oath, denial of citizenship and a prohibition for five years), results in the restoring of PR status, might not save the individual from subsequent inadmissibility proceedings based on the criminal charges, which could result in the loss of PR status, deportation, and being barred from Canada altogether for a period of years.

CAUTION: More than a few who get tangled in such scenarios are tempted to hang their hat on some version of I-did-not-know-or-understand, and are tempted to avoid the expense of a good lawyer. Ultimately some version of that may be the best defense, but it is best to get lawyered-up first, as soon as practical. Any sort of misrepresentation or fraud allegation tends to involve a very slippery slope fraught with pitfalls. The importance of a lawyer's help is only in part due to the lawyer's expertise and experience. A key, key part of why a lawyer can help is that the individual can meet with the lawyer and go over all the facts in detail, CONFIDENTIALLY. The crucial importance of this cannot be overstated. The last thing the client wants to do is downplay or obscure the bad parts, to in any way conceal the bad side from the lawyer. The client needs to make sure the lawyer is advised of all the worst parts and potentially bad parts.

Like so much information available online about revocation of citizenship, this too is out-of-date. Both as to potential grounds for revocation, and importantly as to the procedure. For example, this page discusses the role of the Governor in Council whereas the Governor in Council has NOT had a role in the process since . . . I forget whether those changes took effect in August 2014 or May 2015. A good long while ago anyway, which illustrates the extent to which the information is out-of-date. (And reminder, as again the IRCC webpage, which is a PDI, is linked again above, it too is out-of-date in multiple respects.)

Additionally, this site refers to a Federal Court referral process which no longer applies; there is no referral to the Federal Court merely on request of the targeted individual for Section 10 cases (ordinary fraud cases, which includes most scenarios involving a failure to disclose criminal charges in the citizenship application process). I expect this is still the subject of litigation, challenged on fair procedure grounds, but I do not know the status of those challenges.

There really is NO substitute for finding a lawyer who is familiar with this process and misrepresentation cases generally.

Reactions: asdf111

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ok if you want the truth , i did not declare some criminal charges..it is not due to residency shortage..

when i applied for citizenship i passed criminality in the beigining and only after wards i was charged but i did not report it

my PR is also genuine , no fraud or misrepresentation....absolutely nothing..
How serious was the criminal charge?

If your citizenship is revoked then you will go back to being a PR. However depending on seriousness of criminal charge, your PR status may then be investigated as well. I believe the general measuring stick for seriousness is over or under a 10 year maximum possible sentence for the charge, or if it involved a violent crime.

As was mentioned though, you need a lawyer.