+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent query : Applied for a TRV !!! But received a visitor visa of type V1

krithika

Star Member
Aug 10, 2012
Hi All,

I applied for a temporary resident visa with dependent as my husband but received the passport with a V1 visa !!!

I applied till Dec 27 , 2013 but received the visa with validity from feb 11, 2013 to Aug 12 , 2013.

Why is it so ? Will i be able to apply for a spousal open work permit when in Canada ?

Plz advise

Thanks.
Krithika

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You get your OWP at the port of entry. Have your marriage contract and a copy of your husband's work permit with you together with whatever communication you received from CHC.

krithika said:
Hi All,

I applied for a temporary resident visa with dependent as my husband but received the passport with a V1 visa !!!

I applied till Dec 27 , 2013 but received the visa with validity from feb 11, 2013 to Aug 12 , 2013.

Why is it so ? Will i be able to apply for a spousal open work permit when in Canada ?

Plz advise

Thanks.
Krithika

krithika

Star Member
Aug 10, 2012
I did not receive any instructions from CHC.

What is the procedure to apply for SOWP at Port of entry ? Anybdy else in this forum has received a OWP at POE ?

Thanks.
Krithika

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Did you apply for a spousal open work permit or a visitor visa? There is a difference.

1. When you apply for a spousal work permit, if approved, a TRV is automatically issued(if you are not visa-exempt) and a letter given to you to present to the border officer at the POE who will issue the work permit.

2. When you apply for a visitor visa, if approved, you simply receive the visa. No letter is given to you, and no work permit will be issued at the POE.

With a V1 visa, you will not receive a work permit at the POE but can apply for one when inside Canada.

An officer can issue a visa for however long they think is necessary and even at the border, another officer can shorten the time.

krithika said:

What is the procedure to apply for SOWP at Port of entry ? Anybdy else in this forum has received a OWP at POE ?

Thanks.
Krithika

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You can apply for the OWP, at the POE, once you arrive in Canada. Have a copy of your marriage certificate and your husband's work permit.

krithika said:

Thanks.
Krithika

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I don't believe that's a given, considering she is not visa-exempt. Also, she may be asked to undergo a medical exam if she plans to stay longer than 6 months(based on husband's study/work permit) and/or plans to work in an occupation where she interacts with the public.

job_seeker said:
You can apply for the OWP, at the POE, once you arrive in Canada. Have a copy of your marriage certificate and your husband's work permit.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
If that's the case and the officer at the Port of Entry says so, then at least she tried. She can then send her application for an OWP from within Canada, once admitted.

SenoritaBella said:
I don't believe that's a given, considering she is not visa-exempt. Also, she may be asked to undergo a medical exam if she plans to stay longer than 6 months(based on husband's study/work permit) and/or plans to work in an occupation where she interacts with the public.

krithika

Star Member
Aug 10, 2012
Hi All,

I actually did my medicals and submitted the same CHC , NEw Dehli.

But even then got entry granted for only six months.

Thanks.
Krithika

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
The visa is normally 6 months duration, meaning you should enter Canada on or before the six months is over. How long a stay you're granted deopends upon the port of entry officer and the supporting doc you'll show, normally 6 months if visitor status is given or co terminus with your husband's WP.

krithika said:
Hi All,

I actually did my medicals and submitted the same CHC , NEw Dehli.

But even then got entry granted for only six months.

Thanks.
Krithika