+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent processing of passports after oath

adilkhan31

Star Member
Nov 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys. My wife and I have our oath scheduled for June 3rd. We have our ticket booked for June 10th (for the whole family) and I have an offer of employment outside Canada to show as proof along with the confirmed tickets
What exactly is the process for requesting urgent processing of passports? Our trip falls outside the 2 day mark. I am not sure who to ask this question during the oath.

Thanks in advance.

esosam

May 2, 2022
Hi guys. My wife and I have our oath scheduled for June 3rd. We have our ticket booked for June 10th (for the whole family) and I have an offer of employment outside Canada to show as proof along with the confirmed tickets
What exactly is the process for requesting urgent processing of passports? Our trip falls outside the 2 day mark. I am not sure who to ask this question during the oath.

Thanks in advance.
First of all, send an email to them to ask to get the oath earlier and attach the job offer. They should approve the urgent processing. Also, in the oath they will ask you during registration before cutting the PR cards if you have travel plans. Then, you should get the certificate quickly or can even ask for pickup if you are close to the IRCC office. Then, apply urgently for the passport in person and go early morning.

Reactions: adilkhan31

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
First of all, send an email to them to ask to get the oath earlier and attach the job offer. They should approve the urgent processing. Also, in the oath they will ask you during registration before cutting the PR cards if you have travel plans. Then, you should get the certificate quickly or can even ask for pickup if you are close to the IRCC office. Then, apply urgently for the passport in person and go early morning.
I am not so sure this is ideal for him. He shouldn't reveal his plans to leave Canada immediately after getting citizenship.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018

Thanks in advance.
To get urgent passport you need to show up at the passport office with your citizenship certificate in hand. You won't get certificate until 2-3 weeks after the oath (at normal processing times being witnessed on the forum).

I would suggest not to reveal to them that you are going to leave Canada immediately after getting citizenship. You never know who you get in the interview and some officers are not too keen to see Canadians leave as soon as they get their hands on the passport.

adilkhan31

Star Member
Nov 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It’s a tricky situation to be in. I’ve read that simply having air-tickets won’t help, I need to state a genuine reason for travel.
If I state overseas employment, it has the risk of a potential interview. If I don’t do that, I am afraid I dont have any other proof which will pass as genuine reason for travel

esosam

May 2, 2022
It’s a tricky situation to be in. I’ve read that simply having air-tickets won’t help, I need to state a genuine reason for travel.
If I state overseas employment, it has the risk of a potential interview. If I don’t do that, I am afraid I dont have any other proof which will pass as genuine reason for travel
Travel tickets won't work. I am in the same situation and was told that travel tickets are not urgent unless you have urgent case as per their email below:

A request to reschedule a Citizenship Ceremony event is only considered under exceptional circumstances, ie death of an immediate family member, hospitalization of an immediate family member, or other situation of emergency/ critical nature etc. Each request must be made in writing and must be accompanied by the supporting documentation ie death certificates, doctor’s notes, departure and return airline tickets or documentation to support the request etc.

I do believe a job offer is an urgent case but up to you if you want to use that

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Yes, its tricky.

Is your job conditional on your Canadian Passport? If not, I would suggest to just use your previous passport to go and join or to request a delay to your job start (if possible).

Reactions: adilkhan31