+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Processing need help

mlbwhf

Jun 7, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Visa Office......
London
Hi Team,

I had submitted my application for citizenship, I want to turn it on urgent, can you please help to provide your experience, and what I need to focus when writing up my reasons for urgent processing

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Team,

I had submitted my application for citizenship, I want to turn it on urgent, can you please help to provide your experience, and what I need to focus when writing up my reasons for urgent processing
Focus on having a valid reason https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html. Other than that, without knowing what grounds you think you have, no one can really comment.

mlbwhf

Jun 7, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Visa Office......
London
thanks, it is mainly for work, I need to travel for work, and that is critical for my job, what proof I need to provide?
it is critical for my work

Matut

Feb 28, 2018
thanks, it is mainly for work, I need to travel for work, and that is critical for my job, what proof I need to provide?
it is critical for my work
You need an official letter from your employer stating all this what you said about travel for work.

Matut

Feb 28, 2018
The letter also needs to specifically address why you cannot travel for work in your PR status and why citizenship is needed and how it will simplify things for you/company you work for.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If it's just for travel convenience, you can expect to be declined for urgent processing.
It's more targeted at people that need citizen status vs PR status for security reasons.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/urgent-application-cases.html

Required documents
Documents must support urgent case requests.

For instance, an applicant facing loss of employment or of employment opportunity must submit a letter from the employer.

The letter should indicate that the applicants will lose employment or potential employment if they are not Canadian citizens. The letter must also indicate why Canadian citizenship is a job requirement and why the employer cannot make other arrangements.

Last edited:
Reactions: dpenabill

Flandernss

Mar 5, 2019
Hey people,

I have been thinking of turning on the Urgent Processing on my citizenship grant process. I would appreciate your opinion in this regard.

I currently work as consultant for a United Nations agency in Europe (where I am nothing but a foreigner with a frail diplomatic permit). In fact, it was a term position that I accepted shortly before my citzenship application, so I had to return to Canada for a few weeks to gather the last few days of the 1095 days of physical presence.

It has been over 2 years since I took the job and close to 1 year since I submitted my application. Meanwhile, my employer changed my status: from "fixed term" to "open-ended" (and the job remains a consultant job). By the way, I stress this is just a consultancy contract to highlight the fact that I am not regular staff, therefore am in a fairly precarious situation that will sooner or later end (for budgetary reasons), in which event I will go back to Canada as I have always done for the 10 years I have been a PR.

And now... we have this COVID19 mess. I was expecting my citizenship test letter to arrive at any moment when this pandemonium put the world in a near-halt.

If it wasn't for this pandemic, I would not fret for my citizenship.

But depending on how long the world will be upside down, I face the threat of having my citizenship unresolved for extended periods of time, which could potentially result in me being abroad for some 3 years as PR, which is the absolute no-no (PR RO).

I would like to request Urgent Processing on the following grounds:

"To apply for urgent processing, you must be eligible to apply for citizenship and have an emergency, such as:
needing Canadian citizenship to: avoid losing your job"
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html

"Applications for (...) grant of citizenship (...) are expedited if documents support the need for urgency in the following situations:
the applicant is in any situation in which not expediting the citizenship application harms them (for instance, need to renounce foreign citizenship by a certain date)"
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/urgent-application-cases.html

In case you believe my claim is feasible from a legal standpoint, what do you think of the chances of it being formally accepted but, in practice, they would try to screw me over by dragging my file even more (which I read has been the case for many).

Thank you all in advance...

Last edited:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hey people,

I have been thinking of turning on the Urgent Processing on my citizenship grant process. I would appreciate your opinion in this regard.

I currently work as consultant for a United Nations agency in Europe (where I am nothing but a foreigner with a frail diplomatic permit). In fact, it was a term position that I accepted shortly before my citzenship application, so I had to return to Canada for a few weeks to gather the last few days of the 1095 days of physical presence.

It has been over 2 years since I took the job and close to 1 year since I submitted my application. Meanwhile, my employer changed my status: from "fixed term" to "open-ended" (and the job remains a consultant job). By the way, I stress this is just a consultancy contract to highlight the fact that I am not regular staff, therefore am in a fairly precarious situation that will sooner or later end (for budgetary reasons), in which event I will go back to Canada as I have always done for the 10 years I have been a PR.

And now... we have this COVID19 mess. I was expecting my citizenship test letter to arrive at any moment when this pandemonium put the world in a near-halt.

If it wasn't for this pandemic, I would not fret for my citizenship.

But depending on how long the world will be upside down, I face the threat of having my citizenship unresolved for extended periods of time, which could potentially result in me being abroad for some 3 years as PR, which is the absolute no-no.

I would like to request Urgent Processing on the following grounds:

"To apply for urgent processing, you must be eligible to apply for citizenship and have an emergency, such as:
needing Canadian citizenship to: avoid losing your job"
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html

"Applications for (...) grant of citizenship (...) are expedited if documents support the need for urgency in the following situations:
the applicant is in any situation in which not expediting the citizenship application harms them (for instance, need to renounce foreign citizenship by a certain date)"

In case you believe my claim is feasible from a legal standpoint, what do you think of the chances of it being formally accepted but, in practice, they would try to screw me over by dragging my file even more (which I read has been the case for many).

Thank you all in advance...
1. You have a problem, since the Tests and Oaths for Citizenship have been cancelled with no timeline as to when they will resume.
2. You have been doing the job as a PR and it doesn't appear that citizenship is requirement for you to maintain it. (By the way it is job outside Canada, not a job that requires citizenship in Canada)
3. You are pretty well out of luck.
4. Also you have to maintain your RO for PR as well.

Flandernss

Mar 5, 2019
Hi man,

Thanks for the reply. In regards to Urgent Processing,

(1) nowhere does it say your job has to be in Canada. Does it?
(2) if it required the job to be exclusively in Canada, this option would be virtually non-applicable (except maybe for high profile people). I lived in Ottawa juggling contracts with the government and I never saw job offers requesting you to be a citizen (this is not an issue unless you decide to run for office as PM or something of that nature). This is the nature of being PR: you are practically a citizen except only for two things, the RO and unelectability as politician.
(3) my job is in an organization constituted of multiple countries INCLUDING Canada, so much so that the building where I work is international territory (the local police is not allowed inside under no circumstance).

You think I don't have a claim whatsoever for Urgent Processing? Even if they deny... Honestly, I am not sure.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi man,

(2) if it required the job to be exclusively in Canada, this option would be virtually non-applicable (except maybe for high profile people). I lived in Ottawa juggling contracts with the government and I never saw job offers requesting you to be a citizen (this is not an issue unless you decide to run for office as PM or something of that nature). This is the nature of being PR: you are practically a citizen except only for two things, the RO and unelectability as politician.
(3) my job is in an organization constituted of multiple countries INCLUDING Canada, so much so that the building where I work is international territory (the local police is not allowed inside under no circumstance).

You think I don't have a claim whatsoever for Urgent Processing? Even if they deny... Honestly, I am not sure.
Lots of jobs require citizenship. Most involve security, military, politics and research.

Reactions: bafonso

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi man,

@PMM already, mostly, covered this.

There is rarely any harm in making the request for urgent processing. IRCC has broad discretion to expedite processing. And particularly for someone with an application that has already been in process for a rather long time, there is some chance that IRCC will expedite processing.

But even apart from the current situation, as best we know, the prospect of IRCC granting urgent processing in your situation seems very unlikely.

LONGER EXPLANATION:

Expedited processing of citizenship applications is discretionary, and in the best of times there is no guarantee those who meet the criteria will have their request for urgent processing granted. We see many who are not.

Basically the publicized criteria for which IRCC says it may grant expedited processing is merely descriptive of situations in which IRCC will *consider* expediting processing. There is, for example, no right to urgent processing. Declining to expedite processing is NOT a decision subject to appeal or judicial review.

Currently, given the impact of the covid-19 pandemic, there appears to be almost NO prospect for urgent processing anytime soon. With, perhaps, rare exceptions in very special cases. There was, for example, a virtual oath ceremony somewhat recently, but so far there is NO news of such special proceedings other than in that SINGLE individual's case, involving a high level professional in a very specialized field, for a position HERE, IN Canada.

You are correct that there are indeed, relatively, few jobs which require Canadian citizenship. But there are a number that do. As @canuck78 observed.

Other than isolated and, frankly, NOT reliable exceptions, anecdotal reports almost universally indicate that for GRANT citizenship applications requests for urgent processing are ONLY granted when the job affected is a job which actually requires Canadian citizenship itself, which again are mostly in the fields referenced by @canuck78.

Obviously you have the job you have without having Canadian citizenship, so clearly Canadian citizenship is not a job requirement.

You are also correct that IRCC's online information about the availability of urgent processing does not precisely stipulate what it means, and one could interpret it the way you do, that it does not exclude the situation in which Canadian citizenship has an incidental relationship to the job. There is little or no reliable support, however, for the proposition that the latter is how IRCC interprets or applies its discretion to expedite processing in individual cases.

On the contrary . . . There are few if any indications that incidental reasons which can affect employment will be sufficient for IRCC to expedite processing the GRANT citizenship application. (Urgent processing for proof of citizenship applications may be allowed more generously.) The most common example of queries similar to yours is the PR who has a job opportunity which depends on having a Canadian passport, be that to facilitate international travel or to qualify for a particular type of visa in certain countries (many of these queries relate to qualifying for U.S. work visas or U.S. jobs), and again NO, there is little or no indication that IRCC will grant urgent processing for this. Needing a Canadian passport is NOT the same as Canadian citizenship being a legitimate job requirement.

There have been forum participants, at least one or two anyway, who insist otherwise. Such claims tend to be rife with inconsistencies, unreliable on their face, or are largely unsupported conclusions based on isolated instances (a failing common to many forum posts in general, the tendency to extrapolate a rule or policy based on what happened in individual cases -- isolated examples and potential exceptions do not illuminate what the rule or policy is).