Urgent Processing - Does this make sense

tender_heart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2012
Hey,

Sent two separate citizenship applications on Oct 2017:
  • Application Package for family -- Normal Processing
  • Application Package for myself -- Urgent Processing
My family received their file number on Nov, and the status changed to under processing last week.
  • My urgent application was returned on Nov with a letter that I didn't attach my photos <-- I have a proof of photos being attached as I took screen shot from the package. (seems the officer didn't like the urgent processing request).
  • Re-sent the application on Nov and was delivered on Nov 27 with new photos.
  • Until now I didn't receive any acknowledgement or anything.

Questions:
How long urgent processing applications usually take?
Is it normal to wait for 2 months without having at least a file number? Especially for urgent applications?
Is there a chance that the urgent processing will be fast tracked and after all processing they'll send everything at once?

Thank you

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Hey,

My family received their file number on Nov, and the status changed to under processing last week.
  • My urgent application was returned on Nov with a letter that I didn't attach my photos <-- I have a proof of photos being attached as I took screen shot from the package. (seems the officer didn't like the urgent processing request).

Questions:
Is it normal to wait for 2 months without having at least a file number? Especially for urgent applications?
Is there a chance that the urgent processing will be fast tracked and after all processing they'll send everything at once?

Thank you
Did you write urgent on the envelope (Outside)? May I ask the reason you applied by urgent request?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hey,

Questions:

Thank you
I don't think they inform you if your request for urgent processing was not honoured. In that case they simply put the application in the "normal processing pile" and it goes from there. Based on forum reports, it's not uncommon not to have received AOR for a late November application. I would say most likely your request for urgent processing was not accepted and now ti's going the normal route.

Even for urgent processing, you are informed of each step. Again, if you havent heard anything from a November urgent application, it is most likely that it wasn't accepted as urgent and is going the normal route.

See here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html

Quote:
We can only process citizenship applications urgently in special cases. We check every urgent request to see if it meets the conditions for urgent processing. If your application doesn’t meet the conditions, we will process it normally.

tender_heart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2012
Did you write urgent on the envelope (Outside)? May I ask the reason you applied by urgent request?
Yes I did in large font "Citizenship Grant - Urgent Processing" ...

The reason is that I work for large and public company in Canada, my work requires some travel outside the country and I've missed lots of trips. As a result, I am concerned about losing my job as a result of this. Got a letter from my employer and attached it to the application.

tender_heart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2012
I don't think they inform you if your request for urgent processing was not honoured. In that case they simply put the application in the "normal processing pile" and it goes from there. Based on forum reports, it's not uncommon not to have received AOR for a late November application. I would say most likely your request for urgent processing was not accepted and now ti's going the normal route.

Even for urgent processing, you are informed of each step. Again, if you havent heard anything from a November urgent application, it is most likely that it wasn't accepted as urgent and is going the normal route.

See here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html

Quote:
We can only process citizenship applications urgently in special cases. We check every urgent request to see if it meets the conditions for urgent processing. If your application doesn’t meet the conditions, we will process it normally.

Thank you!

I want to make sure that it will go through normal steps if not processed urgently :( ...

maybenot

Star Member
Sep 20, 2011
Hey,

Questions:

Thank you
Hi ... Ok my experience and advise.
I applied URGENT (I had multiple reasons for urgent processing very serious) in addition unable to issue passport from my country of origin
provided all supported documents.

My processing didn't change really actually was delayed a bit than average. I sent another letter during the long process and again never heard anything back till two months later for TEST invitation.
During the test invitation and interview I told the VO about my situation and she told me unfortunately we don't accommodate any urgent processing as we get too many of those and we just ignore them! YEP she said that.

If you want to try its ok will do no harm, I just shared my experience which I can assure you that they don't give a sh!t.

madam-m

Star Member
Mar 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just wonder, what they consider as valid reasons for urgent processing? For work purposes, I mean no any employer will demand Canadian passport, for them is only mandatory that we are eligible to work. For traveling, we have our own passport and visas if necessary. All other rights we have the same as Canadian, except to vote.I would really like somebody to explain me precisely, why he/she applied for urgent processing.
In my point of view, they are disregarding urgent processing because many people decided to apply like that for their own convenience. I wanted also to apply, but I didn't have the reason, but surely I wanted.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
I just wonder, what they consider as valid reasons for urgent processing? For work purposes, I mean no any employer will demand Canadian passport, for them is only mandatory that we are eligible to work. For traveling, we have our own passport and visas if necessary. All other rights we have the same as Canadian, except to vote.I would really like somebody to explain me precisely, why he/she applied for urgent processing.
In my point of view, they are disregarding urgent processing because many people decided to apply like that for their own convenience. I wanted also to apply, but I didn't have the reason, but surely I wanted.
To apply for urgent processing, you must be eligible to apply for citizenship and have an emergency, such as:

• needing Canadian citizenship to:
    • apply for a job
    • avoid losing your job
    • go to a Canadian school, college or university
  • needing to travel because of death or serious illness in your family and you can’t get a passport in your current nationality
  • receiving a successful Federal Court decision on an appeal on a previous application for citizenship
Job offer that mandates Canadian citizenship seems to be the top reason. Perhaps, some government intelligence agency like CSIS, or RCMP.

Last edited:

stone8198

May 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
N/A
NOC Code......
-
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes I did in large font "Citizenship Grant - Urgent Processing" ...

The reason is that I work for large and public company in Canada, my work requires some travel outside the country and I've missed lots of trips. As a result, I am concerned about losing my job as a result of this. Got a letter from my employer and attached it to the application.
oh man..my practical experience with it. Don't even think of that route. I was in exact same position as yours. Sent them countless letters for urgent processing for the same reason. They didn't even bother, in return slapped me with a RQ and delayed the application for almost 3 years.

Save yourself the hassle. They won't even give you a opportunity of why your require urgent processing. The moment your you mention TRAVEL you will be directed to extensive scrutiny of each and every travel.

I have been there and this has been my experience.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately you also applied at an extremely busy time so unfortunately you should have probably waited until the initial rush slowed down.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Job offer that mandates Canadian citizenship seems to be the top reason. Perhaps, some government intelligence agency like CSIS, or RCMP.
Yes, also make sure you spell CSIS correctly...if by mistake, you say you want urgent citizenship because you want to go work for *SIS (with a spelling mistake), then they will do your urgent processing... :rolleyes:

raphmih

Star Member
Aug 16, 2011
Thanks Maybeont :( ...

it's unfortunate, would preferred to send my application with family
Just wander if you received your citizenship. from this forum here i heard a lot when urgent applicants wait even longer than normal ones. I also applied to my citizenship in December 2018. fingers crossed that it'll be done in early summer.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
What? I don't think I ever heard cases like that on this forum?

Just wander if you received your citizenship. from this forum here i heard a lot when urgent applicants wait even longer than normal ones. I also applied to my citizenship in December 2018. fingers crossed that it'll be done in early summer.

raphmih

Star Member
Aug 16, 2011
What? I don't think I ever heard cases like that on this forum?
right every case is kinda unique. My brother's urgent, received AOR, however NO in process yet (from last year). Also looked through the spreadsheet, Urgent applicants dont usually get their cases done earlier than others.