+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Problem related to PGWP

Edieason

Jun 13, 2017
Hello Everyone.

I am an international student and a graduate from University of Waterloo. I was just graduated on May and I went to the port of entry to apply for the PGWP. But they refused me twice. The reason they gave to me was that I had 3 part time terms throughout my 4 years study. In my school, minimum number of course load for full time is 3.
My study timeline is
fall 2013: 5 course load
winter/spring/fall 2014: 4/3/4 course load
winter/spring/fall 2015: 2/3/2 course load
winter/spring/fall 2016: 2/5/5 course load
winter 2017: 5 course load.
For fall 2015 and winter 2016, I originally enrolled 4 courses but drop into 2 courses before the final.
My academic standing is just good standing.
Can anyone give me some advice? Does it mean I wont get the PGWP? Should I try to apply online?or go to the port of entry once again?
My study permit expires on July 31th.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To qualify for a PGWP, you must be a full time student continuously for the entire duration of your studies. If you have one term where you were only part time, CIC will accept this and still issue a PGWP. If you have more than one term where you were part time, then you don't meet the PGWP criteria and will be refused.

Here's the CIC page that lists the full time requirement for the PGWP:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp

Unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can do. You were correctly refused since you had three part time terms. Applying online won't help or change the situation.

Edieason

Jun 13, 2017
To qualify for a PGWP, you must be a full time student continuously for the entire duration of your studies. If you have one term where you were only part time, CIC will accept this and still issue a PGWP. If you have more than one term where you were part time, then you don't meet the PGWP criteria and will be refused.

Unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can do. You were correctly refused since you had three part time terms. Applying online won't help or change the situation.
Thank you so much for the instant reply. I think the criteria is quite wired. Our school runs a trimester system. I could be off on winter term as my "summer term", but I chose to study part time... Does that mean the international student can not have part time summer term?

Edieason

Jun 13, 2017

What if I go to some college for 1 more year. When I graduate from the college, am I eligible for 3 year post graduate work permit?

lucamayman

Apr 20, 2017
What degree program were you in? Spring and summer are considered scheduled breaks for most of universities, how come uWaterloo runs a trimester system?

Edieason

Jun 13, 2017
I am in math faculty. honors statistics major and economics minor. Since our school has a huge number of coop students. In fact, there is almost no difference between spring term and other terms

lucamayman

Apr 20, 2017
How long is your Spring term? Do they combine Spring + Summer into another 4 months semester? Do you know if it is mandatory for other international students to enroll in this semester?

Edieason

Jun 13, 2017
How long is your Spring term? Do they combine Spring + Summer into another 4 months semester? Do you know if it is mandatory for other international students to enroll in this semester?
In fact, it is a 4 month semester. I dont think it is mandatory for other students to enroll in spring term. Also, I dont think it is mandatory for students to enroll in winter and fall terms. I am trying to get a statement showing that I am eligible to be part time or off on winter terms.

lucamayman

Apr 20, 2017
In fact, it is a 4 month semester. I dont think it is mandatory for other students to enroll in spring term. Also, I dont think it is mandatory for students to enroll in winter and fall terms. I am trying to get a statement showing that I am eligible to be part time or off on winter terms.
Additionally, if you dropped 2 courses before final, did those courses appear on your transcript? I assume your transcript does not state full-time/part-time status for each semester? How did the officer know you enrolled part-time? If 4 courses per semester show up, you can try to explain that to the officer.

Edieason

Jun 13, 2017
Additionally, if you dropped 2 courses before final, did those courses appear on your transcript? I assume your transcript does not state full-time/part-time status for each semester? How did the officer know you enrolled part-time? If 4 courses per semester show up, you can try to explain that to the officer.
Thank you so much for the instant reply. They do appear on my transcript. When I was at the CBSA, they thought those courses were failed and regard those two terms as part time.

lucamayman

Apr 20, 2017
Thank you so much for the instant reply. They do appear on my transcript. When I was at the CBSA, they thought those courses were failed and regard those two terms as part time.
How did it go at the CBSA? Did they ask you to clarify anything before they rejected you? Did you got a chance to explain to them?

Edieason

Jun 13, 2017
How did it go at the CSBA? Did they ask you to clarify anything before they rejected you? Did you got a chance to explain to them?
I made a flagpole there. They did ask me a few questions about why I was part time on those terms. But I did not reply very well. Each chat was about 20 mins....Now, I feel very regretful since I did not answer the questions very well

lucamayman

Apr 20, 2017
I made a flagpole there. They did ask me a few questions about why I was part time on those terms. But I did not reply very well. Each chat was about 20 mins....Now, I feel very regretful since I did not answer the questions very well
So maybe you did not answer well and mentioned about part-time, then they thought you were part-time? I'm not sure why they thought you were part-time? Even if you fail a course, we are allowed to fail, you don't lose full-time status.

Last edited:

chickennuggets2704

Jul 10, 2017
Hello Everyone.

I am an international student and a graduate from University of Waterloo. I was just graduated on May and I went to the port of entry to apply for the PGWP. But they refused me twice. The reason they gave to me was that I had 3 part time terms throughout my 4 years study. In my school, minimum number of course load for full time is 3.
My study timeline is
fall 2013: 5 course load
winter/spring/fall 2014: 4/3/4 course load
winter/spring/fall 2015: 2/3/2 course load
winter/spring/fall 2016: 2/5/5 course load
winter 2017: 5 course load.
For fall 2015 and winter 2016, I originally enrolled 4 courses but drop into 2 courses before the final.
My academic standing is just good standing.
Can anyone give me some advice? Does it mean I wont get the PGWP? Should I try to apply online?or go to the port of entry once again?
My study permit expires on July 31th.
Did you end up finding a solution to this? I may be on a similar boat.