+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent PR card renewal questions

m3633444

Nov 17, 2014
I will be on a trip to china on December 13. My return flight is on Jan 6, 2015 and I just realized my PR card expires on Jan 5, 2015. VERY FRUSTRATING!
Now I can only apply for urgent PR card renewal and hope for the best. But I have a few questions.

1. How long does urgent PR renewal usually take? I live in Vancouver BC. I had 2 trips in the last 5 years and spent a total of 39 days outside Canada.

2. CIC says I need to photocopy ALL pages of my passport. Really? My passport has 50 pages and most of them are empty pages. Do I need to photocopy all 50 pages or only those with useful information?

3. I went to china during those 2 trips and I had stamps from Chinese boarder. I will have to translate those stamps right? And according to CIC guide, the translator needs to provide an affidavit. “An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document.”
That seems very complicated. Just exactly how should I do this? How did you guys do this?

4. According to CIC guide, I will need to certify the translated document. I am going to ask my university professor to certify my translated passport pages. He will only need to certify those pages that are translated right? Not the entire 50 pages passport right?

5. To prove that I really have imminent travel plan, can I just provide itinerary page from expedia.ca showing my booked flight and my credit card statement showing that I have paid the money? Would this be sufficient?

I am really in an urgent situation right now. I want to get this done as soon as possible and hope for the best. Any input regarding to my application would be very appreciated. Thank you!

joeblowcocomo

Apr 25, 2013
1. Hard to say. For us, it took about two weeks, but this was back in 2013. You should still take this route, as there is a realistic chance to get your new PR before your departure.

2. Really. All of them.

3. Go to the certified translator.

5. You have your confirmation email, I presume? It shows the travel dates and payment. Should be sufficient.

yuz

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
I send mine under urgent processing last Friday, we are in same boat.

you can find some companies in Richmond to get both the certified copy and certified translation. From what I have known, CIC may not check those documents precisely. i do know people who copied everything themselves and did not certify, and they also did not translate the stamps. but they already get the PR card. but for us, i think it will be better if you pay some money and get it done, because we can not risk the situation that they will return our application.

Hopefully we can get our new card pretty soon and before when we need it. However, the urgent application only works if you give them at least three weeks. So if you cannot send it by tomorrow, i suggest you apply for travel documents just in case that you do not have the PR card.

m3633444

Nov 17, 2014
yuz said:
I send mine under urgent processing last Friday, we are in same boat.

you can find some companies in Richmond to get both the certified copy and certified translation. From what I have known, CIC may not check those documents precisely. i do know people who copied everything themselves and did not certify, and they also did not translate the stamps. but they already get the PR card. but for us, i think it will be better if you pay some money and get it done, because we can not risk the situation that they will return our application.

Hopefully we can get our new card pretty soon and before when we need it. However, the urgent application only works if you give them at least three weeks. So if you cannot send it by tomorrow, i suggest you apply for travel documents just in case that you do not have the PR card.
:( How is your case going? I sent it out monday night using the fastest option they have, which was xpresspost. And according to the tracking system the expected delivery date is nov 21... they need to take 1 week to deliver it....sucks....I hope CIC process it fast or I will lose $1500 in flight ticket :'( :'( :'(

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
m3633444 said:
I will be on a trip to china on December 13. My return flight is on Jan 6, 2015 and I just realized my PR card expires on Jan 5, 2015. VERY FRUSTRATING!
Now I can only apply for urgent PR card renewal and hope for the best. But I have a few questions.

1. How long does urgent PR renewal usually take? I live in Vancouver BC. I had 2 trips in the last 5 years and spent a total of 39 days outside Canada.

2. CIC says I need to photocopy ALL pages of my passport. Really? My passport has 50 pages and most of them are empty pages. Do I need to photocopy all 50 pages or only those with useful information?

3. I went to china during those 2 trips and I had stamps from Chinese boarder. I will have to translate those stamps right? And according to CIC guide, the translator needs to provide an affidavit. “An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document.”
That seems very complicated. Just exactly how should I do this? How did you guys do this?

4. According to CIC guide, I will need to certify the translated document. I am going to ask my university professor to certify my translated passport pages. He will only need to certify those pages that are translated right? Not the entire 50 pages passport right?

5. To prove that I really have imminent travel plan, can I just provide itinerary page from expedia.ca showing my booked flight and my credit card statement showing that I have paid the money? Would this be sufficient?

I am really in an urgent situation right now. I want to get this done as soon as possible and hope for the best. Any input regarding to my application would be very appreciated. Thank you!
I highly doubt you will get your card before you leave. Your best option is to apply for PRTD once you are in China.

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanV said:
I highly doubt you will get your card before you leave. Your best option is to apply for PRTD once you are in China.
You would also be best served to look up the average processing time for a travel document while in China. This looks to be ~ 4 weeks from date of receipt of application. Based on your travel dates, you will be cutting it very close since your trip also includes New Years/Boxing Day/Christmas etc which will probably be official closing dates of the embassy and will add to processing time.

canadainternational.gc.ca/china-chine/visas/processing-traitement.aspx?view=d&lang=eng

yuz

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
They received on Tuesday. Nothing happens yet. According to other threads, they will start processing it a week after received. Hopefully everything will be fine. I'm in a situation that I might lose an important job opportunity if they do not process it on time.

I have called CIC and the agent told me the urgent processing takes a month. I suggest you change your return date to Jan. 4 to be safe. Or if you have a U.S. visa, you can fly to seattle and rent a vehicle to get back.

Canada post told me the Xpress is the best they can do and this is what I used too. But the time it takes really sucks, especially in your case.

m3633444 said:
:( How is your case going? I sent it out monday night using the fastest option they have, which was xpresspost. And according to the tracking system the expected delivery date is nov 21... they need to take 1 week to deliver it....sucks....I hope CIC process it fast or I will lose $1500 in flight ticket :'( :'( :'(

sanchil

Mar 21, 2014
i guess, i'm in the same boat as you. i'm planning to travel on an expired pr card and come back with the record of the landing paper or a travel document ... if i can get it on time. can't you make modifications to your travel plan and come back earlier ... ???

m3633444

Nov 17, 2014
yuz said:
They received on Tuesday. Nothing happens yet. According to other threads, they will start processing it a week after received. Hopefully everything will be fine. I'm in a situation that I might lose an important job opportunity if they do not process it on time.

I have called CIC and the agent told me the urgent processing takes a month. I suggest you change your return date to Jan. 4 to be safe. Or if you have a U.S. visa, you can fly to seattle and rent a vehicle to get back.

Canada post told me the Xpress is the best they can do and this is what I used too. But the time it takes really sucks, especially in your case.
How's ur application going? Here is mine:

We received your application for a permanent resident card on November 21, 2014.

We started processing your application on November 25, 2014.

Man I really hope they process it fast. Shitty Canada post already slowed it down quite a bit...I'm getting on the plane on Dec 13.
I only left canada for 39 days in the past 5 years. Everything in my application is legit and straightforward. I hope they give me my card soon ??? ???

m3633444

Nov 17, 2014
Just to update on my case, 10 hours ago my application was still "in process" on ecas, I just checked it again and now it says "complete". However, the application status is still same as before:

Permanent Resident Card
We received your application for a permanent resident card on November 21, 2014.

Does this mean they've finished processing and is mailing out my card to me? I really hope nothing went wrong.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
m3633444 said:
Just to update on my case, 10 hours ago my application was still "in process" on ecas, I just checked it again and now it says "complete". However, the application status is still same as before:

Permanent Resident Card

Does this mean they've finished processing and is mailing out my card to me? I really hope nothing went wrong.
I would be surprised if it went that smooth. Even urgent processing takes months, not 1 week.

yuz

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
CanV said:
I would be surprised if it went that smooth. Even urgent processing takes months, not 1 week.
My application started to be in process on Nov. 21, it also says complete now. I guess we just get lucky recently, if the complete status implies approved.....

m3633444

Nov 17, 2014
yuz said:
My application started to be in process on Nov. 21, it also says complete now. I guess we just get lucky recently, if the complete status implies approved.....
How long has it been since it has changed to complete on your application?
Isn't complete only supposed to show up after you received the card? And why was there no other progress update other than the "complete" status...Weird.

I hope it won't take weeks to get the card in mail after the status changed to complete. :-[