+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent please- need to attend a funeral

Muns59

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
hi all . I hope you seniors can share some advice with me .

My dad’s brother has just suddenly passed away . My other uncle wishes to attend the funeral .

Details :
-is a pr of canada since 2006
-in the last five years he has not met his R.O. ( maybe a few months max )
-was last in canada in 2015
-has a prc that expired in 2016
- address is a Toronto addrsss

Suggestion : he enters B.C. At the Seattle border and presents himself with his landing papers and expired PR card .

Maybe is lucky and officer waves him through .

If goes as expected officer challenges his R.O. and sends him secondary . V.O. Because he is in breach of R.O. Issues him failure to meet r.o. . He should have 60 days to appeal or voluntary give up pr status ? Which will allow him to enter canada for the funeral .

Is it the law he is entitled as a PR to enter canada even though he is in breach of R.O.?
What is the worst that can happen at border ?

He is okay giving up his p.r. Status . To appeal , his case is too weak . Just wishes to go to eldest brother’s funeral ( he actually is the recepient of his kidney 15 years ago ) .

What should he tell the initial visa officer on entering ? Has only intentions of telling the truth but how much should he reveal ?

The option to voluntary give up pr at high commission /embassy and apply for TVR will take too long especially with holidays .

I thank you all greatly for advice

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Is it the law he is entitled as a PR to enter canada even though he is in breach of R.O.?
What is the worst that can happen at border ?
As a PR, he will be allowed to enter Canada regardless of whether he meets the RO
The worst can happen is him getting reported by CBSA for failing to meet RO. That's all
If CBSA asks him what he plans to do in Canada, don't lie, be truthful.

Reactions: dpenabill