+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent - please help

Seira

Star Member
Dec 7, 2013
I have my Canadian Passport and have the OCI. Due to a 10 month project I will have to go to India with my child (7 years old). As it is a long span I would like him to go to school in India but not sure if I can send him. As I will go on a tourist visa to India, do you think I can enroll him in a Indian school or do I need a different type of visa?

Appreciate your earliest input.

Seira

Star Member
Dec 7, 2013
Thanks for your reply Saodir. But what confuses me is the description of tourist visa which says that the visa is only for tourism or vacations etc.. so is education okay for him. I will be happy if I can enroll him. Please let me know if you have any input.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Seira said:
I have my Canadian Passport and have the OCI. Due to a 10 month project I will have to go to India with my child (7 years old). As it is a long span I would like him to go to school in India but not sure if I can send him. As I will go on a tourist visa to India, do you think I can enroll him in a Indian school or do I need a different type of visa?

Appreciate your earliest input.
I am bit confused by your post. You mentioned that you have Canadian Passport and OCI. Then you said that you will go on a tourist visa. If you have OCI then you are not a tourist to India and your OCI visa is not a tourist visa. What visa status your son has for India. If you son has OCI or PIO then he can study in India without any issues.

Seira

Star Member
Dec 7, 2013
rajmalhotra7 said:
I am bit confused by your post. You mentioned that you have Canadian Passport and OCI. Then you said that you will go on a tourist visa. If you have OCI then you are not a tourist to India and your OCI visa is not a tourist visa. What visa status your son has for India. If you son has OCI or PIO then he can study in India without any issues.
Thanks for your response Raj. I am happy that if not all, there are atleast a few who like to help others by sharing their knowldege.

Raj, I was mistaken.. I planned to apply for OCI, but BLS India told me not to apply from here due to its long process of up to 4 months. But there won't be a problem for me as the company is sending me for project work. But regarding my son, I am not sure... as to how I can go about it.

In case any of you have any idea or suggestions, please let me know.
Thanks

cic8888

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
Seira,
I am not sure but I think - like any other country, if you are in Visitor visa - you or your child is not eligible to study. having said that, you can certainly approach local immigration and apply for her study permit.
also does anyone know - Can we apply OCI inside India - is it faster or any other formalities

thanks

cic8888

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
Hello All,
anyone applied for OCI before .. if so correct me if I am wrong in my following steps

1. Get Oath certificate and apply Canadian passport and have it in hand
2. At BIS - apply for renunciation of Indian passport (takes 3-4 weeks)
3. once you receive the certificate then apply for OCI (takes 6-8 weeks)

are these the right steps ..If not please let me know the right steps. thanks