+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT!!!!!..Please help me - Sotware Engineer (Java-J2EE) - Still No Job

mee0088

Jun 21, 2012
Dear Friends,

I have received my PR (under CEC) early this year and have taken 3 months leave from my Software development Job in India and landed in Canada with my wife and a kid early this month (1-April-2013) and moved to Ottawa (Silicon Valley of Canada) to start with Job search. My idea was to resign my job in India once I find a job in Canada.

It has been 4 weeks since I moved here and got ONLY 3 interview calls :( and only 1 company called for personal interview (i.e., second round - planned for next week) :(...am really worried now. Also, I have only 2 more months of leaves left from my Indian company :(

Can you guys suggest me how to go about it now ? some time I feel like going back to India :(.
  • Is it normal that it takes 1-3 months to find a software developer job ? Or is any other options I have so that I can stay in Canada with a paycheck ?
  • Moving to any other bigger cities like Toronto and start finding a job would help ?

Thanks in advance for your quick reply.

jobseeker63

Apr 4, 2013
Me too searching for a job for two weeks !! But only one call in which they asked my availability and nothing else !!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You've only been in Canada a month. That's a very short period of time and it isn't surprising that you haven't been able to find a job in your field yet. Based on the experiences of those I know, it often takes 6-8 months to find a job that's in your field. While you look for a job in your field, you could consider taking a "survival job" (e.g. grocery store job, warehouse job) so that you can earn some income while you search.

Unfortunately I can't comment on whether you should stay in Ottawa or move elsewhere.

Good luck.

mee0088

Jun 21, 2012
Thanks Scylla for your advice. I have been under pressure to find a job :( . Your words gave me some relief and hoping to find a job.

Thanks again.

alabao

Star Member
Feb 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Jan-2009
Nomination.....
01-Nov-2011
AOR Received.
04-May-2012
Med's Request
18-Jul-2012
Med's Done....
28-Jul-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made on 21 Sep 2012 , visa issued on 18th sept 2012
LANDED..........
will do around summer of 2013
what is your profile ...which technologies and how much time?

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
mee0088 said:
Dear Friends,

I have received my PR (under CEC) early this year and have taken 3 months leave from my Software development Job in India and landed in Canada with my wife and a kid early this month (1-April-2013) and moved to Ottawa (Silicon Valley of Canada) to start with Job search. My idea was to resign my job in India once I find a job in Canada.

It has been 4 weeks since I moved here and got ONLY 3 interview calls :( and only 1 company called for personal interview (i.e., second round - planned for next week) :(...am really worried now. Also, I have only 2 more months of leaves left from my Indian company :(

Can you guys suggest me how to go about it now ? some time I feel like going back to India :(.
  • Is it normal that it takes 1-3 months to find a software developer job ? Or is any other options I have so that I can stay in Canada with a paycheck ?
  • Moving to any other bigger cities like Toronto and start finding a job would help ?

Thanks in advance for your quick reply.

Not sure how you are doing a job search but here is a link to search through for all of Ontario:

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/res-eng.aspx?ProvId=06&Categ=2*&OpPage=50&Stdnt=No&nsrc=1

There are many job search tools online to help you find something that may be close to your field. Consider starting beneath your current qualifications just to get your foot in the door.

"Legal requirements for the licensing or certification of professional software engineers vary around the world. In the UK, the British Computer Society licenses software engineers and members of the society can also become Chartered Engineers (CEng), while in some areas of Canada, such as Alberta, Ontario,[13] and Quebec, software engineers can hold the Professional Engineer (P.Eng) designation and/or the Information Systems Professional (I.S.P.) designation. In Canada, there is a legal requirement to have P.Eng when one wants to use the title "engineer" or practice "software engineering"."

The following links are to engineering associations which can help you network and get licenced if required:

http://www.ospe.on.ca/

http://www.peo.on.ca/

http://www.oacett.org/page.asp?P_ID=98

Oct 15, 2015
HI All,

This is Ankit from India I am applying for canada PR but skeptical about the job prospects in Canada for 4 yr Java/J2EE developer.Can anyone help me here whos gone through the process and found the job sucessfully.Looking for the help..