+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT!! PLEASE HELP! Lost recent PR card but still have the old PR card

john1288

May 1, 2016
Hey everyone,

I am just wondering if you could help me with this issue. I recently lost my PR card because I was organizing my stuff in preparation for my Oath of Citizenship next week. However, I realized that I still have my expired PR card from 2011 with my old picture (I recently gained weight btw). Now the question is, when I go to the CIC for my oath taking next week.... do I have to present them a valid PR card or is it okay for me to present them the one that's been expired for four years (2011 PR card)? Please help me with this as I am severely worried :(.

-John-

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The one u lost was a valid one? n if that's the same one u attached with ur application n taken with ur citizenship test then I guess they might need. please try to find one u lost as its the last stage n as far as I know only thing they check at oath is passport n do take ur pr back. But wait for seniors as well

john1288

May 1, 2016
Hello,

Yes, I lost the valid PR card. Now I have to call the CIC call centre and confirm if it is okay for me to use the old PR card (the one that's been expired for four years) instead. I just hope they will consider it. Otherwise, I mauy have to re-apply for a new PR card and my oath taking will be delayed :'(

-John-

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Report it lost to CIC and to local police. Get a copy of the police report to prove you reported it lost. Show up to take the oath, present old PR card (usually they take that from you when you get a new one), police report and see what happens.....

john1288

May 1, 2016
Oh okay. I just called the CIC about it and they told me that they will let the staff know (CIC staff) that I lost it. The agent also said that I can show the PR card but I have to send them the Solemn Declaration form which is part of the application for PR card renewal. In terms of police report, the agent didn't really told me about it. So I guess as long as I have the Solemn Declaration form signed and sent to them, I will be good to go.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
Report it lost to CIC and to local police. Get a copy of the police report to prove you reported it lost. Show up to take the oath, present old PR card (usually they take that from you when you get a new one), police report and see what happens.....
As I informed the OP in one of his numerous posts, the subject is covered here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/general/revocation.asp

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
alphazip said:
As I informed the OP in one of his numerous posts, the subject is covered here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/general/revocation.asp
Yes, by all means do the solemn declaration, but IRCC/CIC are known for inconsistency and occasional departure from protocol. If I were OP, I would also at least make an attempt to get a police report too and have it with me at the oath, if at all possible. It can't hurt. I wonder why they didn't take his old PR card when he renewed it?

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
better to do it properly with ur back up like police report instead of assuming that u will show up with old pr card n it might be OK .But better be up front as u never know they can consider it as misrepresentation...

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Reminder: the older, expired card should have been destroyed upon receiving a new card.

Destroy it ASAP (or at least put it away in a safe place and do not show it to anyone . . . while some of us tend to retain such things as memorabilia, technically it is a violation to retain the expired card).

Do not take it to the Oath ceremony.

Otherwise, it is OK to surrender an expired PR card at the oath ceremony. I did. But I did NOT apply for or obtain a new PR card. (My PR card only expired a short time before I received notice I was scheduled for the interview and oath; while my cit app was pending I was optimistic about quickly being scheduled for my interview and oath, for good reason it turned out, so I had not bothered to make an application for a new card.)

Husseinsyed

Star Member
Jan 26, 2016
dpenabill said:
Reminder: the older, expired card should have been destroyed upon receiving a new card.

Destroy it ASAP (or at least put it away in a safe place and do not show it to anyone . . . while some of us tend to retain such things as memorabilia, technically it is a violation to retain the expired card).

Otherwise, it is OK to surrender an expired PR card at the oath ceremony. I did. But I did NOT apply for or obtain a new PR card. (My PR card only expired a short time before I received notice I was scheduled for the interview and oath; while my cit app was pending I was optimistic about quickly being scheduled for my interview and oath, for good reason it turned out, so I had not bothered to make an application for a new card.)
Yes destroy it as well as delete the other two threads which you started for the same question

john1288

May 1, 2016
dpenabill said:

So does that mean I can take the old expired PR card to my oath taking ceremony then?

john1288

May 1, 2016
johnr said:
Take you expired pr card with you. What do you have to lose?

There is a big chance the officer will say to you "son of a b!tch! You did not have to bother getting a police report on your lost pr. This expired one you now have will do!"

Thats the same answer on your other threads. Bring your old card and having a police report on the lost current one is irrelevant.
Hey John,

Yes but I fortunately I already found it inside my folder. Silly me I put it inside the mini envelope when I organized it two weeks ago for the test.

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys.

Best,

-John-

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
john1288 said:
Hey John,

Yes but I fortunately I already found it inside my folder. Silly me I put it inside the mini envelope when I organized it two weeks ago for the test.

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys.

Best,

-John-
It is good that you found your current, valid PR card.

Best to destroy the old card.

Enjoy the ceremony and congratulations.

john1288 said:
So does that mean I can take the old expired PR card to my oath taking ceremony then?
If you had not found your currently valid PR card, NO, NO, what I posted did not mean you could take the old expired card to your oath.

I am sorry I was not more clear. I had hoped I made it clear that if a new card has been obtained, the old card should be destroyed, and to definitely NOT take it to the oath ceremony. Best to destroy the older card ASAP, as specifically instructed (when being issued the new card -- for those who bother to read all the instructions). But for those who nonetheless hang onto to such things, and people do despite the fact it is against the rules, at the least keep it safe but out-of-sight as memorabilia.

In contrast, if an expired PR card has NOT been replaced, yes the expired card can be surrendered at the oath ceremony. Which is what I did.

I realize the fact that there is rarely a one-rule-fits-all answer can add to the confusion. People like simple answers. But people are often in widely differing circumstances.

Difference here:
-- when a new card has been obtained, the PR is specifically instructed to destroy the old card
-- if no new card has been obtained, keep the old card and surrender it at the time of the oath

I realize I did not need to state the second part to specifically answer your question. But my impression is that other people read and extract information from sites and discussions like this, and I did not want to mislead anyone whose citizenship application process has taken so long that their PR card has expired, but not so long they have applied for and obtained another, and thus the old card is the card most recently issued (even though five plus years previously). These individuals can and should take and surrender their expired PR card.

john1288

May 1, 2016
dpenabill said:
It is good that you found your current, valid PR card.

Best to destroy the old card.

Enjoy the ceremony and congratulations.

If you had not found your currently valid PR card, NO, NO, what I posted did not mean you could take the old expired card to your oath.

I am sorry I was not more clear. I had hoped I made it clear that if a new card has been obtained, the old card should be destroyed, and to definitely NOT take it to the oath ceremony. Best to destroy the older card ASAP, as specifically instructed (when being issued the new card -- for those who bother to read all the instructions). But for those who nonetheless hang onto to such things, and people do despite the fact it is against the rules, at the least keep it safe but out-of-sight as memorabilia.

In contrast, if an expired PR card has NOT been replaced, yes the expired card can be surrendered at the oath ceremony. Which is what I did.

I realize the fact that there is rarely a one-rule-fits-all answer can add to the confusion. People like simple answers. But people are often in widely differing circumstances.

Difference here:
-- when a new card has been obtained, the PR is specifically instructed to destroy the old card
-- if no new card has been obtained, keep the old card and surrender it at the time of the oath

I realize I did not need to state the second part to specifically answer your question. But my impression is that other people read and extract information from sites and discussions like this, and I did not want to mislead anyone whose citizenship application process has taken so long that their PR card has expired, but not so long they have applied for and obtained another, and thus the old card is the card most recently issued (even though five plus years previously). These individuals can and should take and surrender their expired PR card.
Thanks so much again for the help John. Yeah, I till have some sort of language barrier and my apologies if I was so confused. I was just so stressed out about this but now I am not cuz I found my valid PR card. :)