+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent:PGWP under implied student status

van08

Jan 27, 2016
I applied for a renewal of my study permit on September 24th, 2015 , as my earlier study permit was expiring on December 30th, 2015. I finished all my masters degree requirements on January 22, 2016. However, I have not received an update on my application as of today . I have contacted CIC on multiple occasions, including filling out a case-specific enquiry form. The normal processing times have long passed (48 days) and the website shows applications received on November 27th are being processed.
I have not been informed of any missing/additional documents required. I believe there has been an error/delay in processing my application.
I have been offered conditional employment with an engineering firm starting the first week of February. My employment is subject to me providing my legal status to work in Canada. However, due to the unusually long delay in my permit renewal, I am currently under implied status, and my SIN has expired as well. Due to this, I am unable to start employment, though I am eligible for a post-graduate work permit for 3 years.

I am at a complete loss on what to do. Any advice/suggestions in this regard would be really helpful.

luvanuj

Jul 14, 2011
Toronto
You can apply for work permit. | If study permit is in process, you can withdraw your application.

You can show the CIC website where it says while PGWP is in process you are allowed to work. Send this to your HR it is enough proof to get your employment.

van08

Jan 27, 2016
Thank you very much for the clarification. I will apply for a PGWP and submit copies of all the relevant clauses to HR. Fingers crossed!

Whey

Dec 25, 2015
Hello Van08, I am exactly in the same situation. I also applied for a student permit extension on September 24th.
How are you going to apply for the PGWP without a valid student permit, are allowed to do that as we are still waiting for an answer?

Please keep this post updated if you receive any information. I will do the same

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

luvanuj said:
You can apply for work permit. | If study permit is in process, you can withdraw your application.

You can show the CIC website where it says while PGWP is in process you are allowed to work. Send this to your HR it is enough proof to get your employment.

Incorrect.

1. How OP can apply for PGWP when he doesn't have a valid SP. You must have a valid SP in hand before you apply for a PGWP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
J5M said:
Hi,

Incorrect.

1. How OP can apply for PGWP when he doesn't have a valid SP. You must have a valid SP in hand before you apply for a PGWP.
Agreed. Without a valid study permit - the PGWP is going to be refused.

van08

Jan 27, 2016
Hi Whey,

I contacted my local MP office to request CIC for details. They were really helpful and followed up and I received my study permit within a week. I think you should do that as well, if is way beyond your processing time.

Whey

Dec 25, 2015
van08 said:
Hi Whey,

I contacted my local MP office to request CIC for details. They were really helpful and followed up and I received my study permit within a week. I think you should do that as well, if is way beyond your processing time.
How can I do that?
Can you help me please?