+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Passport After Oath

GustaElg14

Star Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hey guys, I was looking on the other threads about this and I only read some experiences before COVID.

My oath is scheduled for Dec 02 and I will be travelling outside Canada on Dec 18. I know that you can ask during the ceremony to expedite the citizenship certificate (apparently you can get it in 2-3 days) and then apply for urgent passport paying $110 extra.

With that in mind you could get your passport within a week after oath.

Anyone has had that experience before?

Thanks in advance guys!

mhd10

Star Member
Oct 15, 2016
Hey guys, I was looking on the other threads about this and I only read some experiences before COVID.

My oath is scheduled for Dec 02 and I will be travelling outside Canada on Dec 18. I know that you can ask during the ceremony to expedite the citizenship certificate (apparently you can get it in 2-3 days) and then apply for urgent passport paying $110 extra.

With that in mind you could get your passport within a week after oath.

Anyone has had that experience before?

Thanks in advance guys!
Yes I was in the same situation and was able to get the citizenship certificate within two days and another two days for my passport.

The main issue here would be to get the citizenship certificate in time. Although every officer works differently and they do mention that nothing is guaranteed but from what I have seen in different forums in many cases the officers were understanding enough to send the certificate within 2 says after providing proof of travel.

Last edited:

GustaElg14

Star Member
Dec 11, 2015
thank you! That's 2 business days???

Did you provide the proof of travel right after the ceremony along with affirmation of citizenship doc ??

For the urgent passport, did you do a walk in or you had to schedule an appt?

Thanks a lot for your time!

mhd10

Star Member
Oct 15, 2016
thank you! That's 2 business days???

Did you provide the proof of travel right after the ceremony along with affirmation of citizenship doc ??

For the urgent passport, did you do a walk in or you had to schedule an appt?

Thanks a lot for your time!
Yes I provided proof of travel along with the signed oath form and sent the same day. I requested an appointment with passport canada on the site and explained when the my travel date was. Got a call within 2 business days and they gave me express/urgent appointment based on my travel date. So it was 2 business days before my flight

So I suggest as soon as you are done with your oath, submit a request on passport canada site and include your flight date. Do this even if you still dont have your certificate because from what I understood they will try to give you an appointment 2 or 3 days before your flight date as it is urgent processing which is meant to take 2 days. This way you ensure you are not wasting any extra days waiting for their call.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. And btw congrats in advance for getting close to the finish line!

Reactions: Ramii

GustaElg14

Star Member
Dec 11, 2015
thanks a lot!

In my case my flight is on the 18th, will they do my appt on the 16th then??

I will prefer to pay $110 regardless of my travel date just to be completely sure that I have the passport in my hands =). Is that possible?

mhd10

Star Member
Oct 15, 2016
thanks a lot!

I will prefer to pay $110 regardless of my travel date just to be completely sure that I have the passport in my hands =). Is that possible?
I would like to think yes but honestly I cant confirm because different office locations might do things differently and it depends on how busy each office is. When you get the call for your appointment they will ask you which location you prefer to go, i know some applicants said they picked offices that were as far as possible/not close to the city so that they could get earlier appointment slots since they are less crowded than the ones that are in the centre of the cities.

mhd10

Star Member
Oct 15, 2016
thanks a lot!

The only thing I can say for sure is they will definitely make sure you get your appointment before your flight the only difference would be the days before your flight.

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
January 14, 2017. Praise God!
Very informative thread! Do officers ask for the nature of the trip, or do they just need to see proof of travel? I imagine most applicants are asking for urgent processing right now to make their Christmas trips. My oath is on the 14th and I have a flight booked for the 24th, but it's not for urgent reasons. Just to see family for the first time in over 2 years!!

mhd10

Star Member
Oct 15, 2016
Very informative thread! Do officers ask for the nature of the trip, or do they just need to see proof of travel? I imagine most applicants are asking for urgent processing right now to make their Christmas trips. My oath is on the 14th and I have a flight booked for the 24th, but it's not for urgent reasons. Just to see family for the first time in over 2 years!!
No they did not ask for the reason. They just asked when the date was and to show them the proof

Reactions: VictorCA

GustaElg14

Star Member
Dec 11, 2015

That's a good question. I would assume that most of the people have trip plans for the holidays after several years due to the pandemic contingency (in my case, I haven't seen my family in almost 3yrs) . Will they do urgent processing for almost all the people??

Like I said in other thread, I don't mind re scheduling the ceremony if they put me in the first spot after my return date, but unfortunately I don't trust them.

Good luck!

Reactions: VictorCA

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
January 14, 2017. Praise God!
That's a good question. I would assume that most of the people have trip plans for the holidays after several years due to the pandemic contingency (in my case, I haven't seen my family in almost 3yrs) . Will they do urgent processing for almost all the people??

Like I said in other thread, I don't mind re scheduling the ceremony if they put me in the first spot after my return date, but unfortunately I don't trust them.

Good luck!
I'm in the same boat. I don't want to reschedule the ceremony and have to wait another 4 months for a date. I just want this to be over. If I have to reschedule my trip, my family will understand.

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
Very informative thread. I have my oath scheduled in January 4th and I have to be in the UK on the 31st of January. So almost 4 weeks apart. I’m very stressed because I have an appointment there and if I lose that spot I can’t get it again for a few months at least. It’s not a regular doctor appointment though, do they care about the reason for travelling? Also what is this guarantor thing? I’m alone in Canada how can I find a guarantor? Thank you!

chica30

Mar 7, 2020
And also without our passport how can we book a ticket? I have my old passport but I don’t have visa for the UK.
Generally you don't need a passport to book most of the airline tickets, as long as you provide your full name. However, at check-in then you must have a passport/visa so airline can verify if you are eligible to enter the destination country.

Reactions: Strawberry91